Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Why Is Liberal a Dirty Word?

I heard a great quote from Dick Durbin regarding Scooter Libby this morning on Good Morning America: "Even Paris Hilton went to jail." That got an actual chortle out of me. I like the cut of his jib.

Also, does anyone else find it hypocritical that Hillary Clinton is on the stump railing against the Scooter Libby commutation? Especially with Bill (El Pardonero) sitting right next to her. The biggest controversy of his term aside from Monica was his last round of pardons to his buddies. And Hillary has the gall to talk about "cronyism".

I don't understand why conservatives or Republicans find the term liberal so distasteful. The main argument I've heard is that liberals want to give everything away - create a socialist state. I guess I don't understand how helping people is bad. I'm even more confused by conservatives that use their religious beliefs to guide them in regards to stem cell research and abortion but forget the parts of the bible that guide us to give away everything we have to people that need it. I believe that's the primary theme of Christianity.

Anyhow, I hate politics. I do, however, hold out hope for Obama who has not yet given me reason to lose hope. I'm sure the Republicans will expose something eventually (if there are any left by the time the election rolls around...)

7 comments:

DC Liar 11:07 AM  

The problem that I have with "liberal" policies/programs is that:
a) They tend to perpetuate problems rather than looking toward solution.
b) They often take a "government knows best" approach to arbitrarily curtail personal liberties.

Granted, the conservative nonsense bugs me just as much (if not more), but those douches aren't nearly as self-satisfied by their actions.

On the religion thing. I'm not a person of faith, so I think everyone is fucking nuts when they try to use religion to justify their political actions.

Chris B. 11:17 AM  

From what I've gleaned over the years, I'm both conservative and liberal, leaning more to the left.

I think it would be ok to be self-satisfied if something was actually being done. I'm not happy with a "government knows best" approach but I would support a "use the government to our advantage" approach as long as it didn't impinge on our personal liberties. It seems like corporations and their influence are more of an issue in that regard.

It's startling what groups of people will do/allow within the guise of a corporation.

P-Dizzle 11:43 AM  

I tend to vote against republicans but I am amazed how many people believe government, particularly the federal government, can solve problems. Theoretically it can, but inevitably (as dc points out) these things morph into perversions of their intent and often become the problem. It's a truism that all government bureaucracies inevitably exist to perpetuate themselves. The concern is that we pay for this, and in more ways simply than the tax we owe each year.

Ideally we would all be involved in local government more, where people on the spot can make decisions appropriate to local issues, rather than blanket decrees from on federal high. At that level the voter has more choice about where to put their money.

But "liberal" shouldn't be a bad word. However, dyed-in-the-wool socialists should call themselves such and relinquish their monopoly on "liberal" as its original use barely suits many of them anymore.

Chris B. 12:22 PM  

"At that level the voter has more choice about where to put their money."

And where to live!

edP 10:52 PM  

Chris, regarding your statement about what you are "conservative and liberal, leaning more to the left" - I think that is a good place to be...not in terms of where you are leaning or whatever...just the fact that you can identify with both camps on different issues...

It is when people dig in on both sides and are absolutely fucking determined to be LIBERAL or CONSERVATIVE to the fucking end...that makes them hate each other and me to hate all of them.

I want to kill, maim and fuck the corpses of all extremist leaving them in a pool of shit and blood.

That'd learn 'em.

edP 10:56 PM  

Regarding the religious right in America, they've been fucked over by the Bush White House...but given the choices in this race I bet they'd come back if they could to gbushy.

Poor dumb fucks.

How many fucking abortions did the current administration stop (and I'm, not arguing that they can reallyu stop any)

And people are dumb enough to vote for people like gBushy on that issue only.

Absolutely nuts.

Re giving to the poor as the primary teaching of Christianity I'm not sure BUT IT'S GOT TO COME HIGHER THAN WRITING LAWS TO PERSECUTE FORNICATORS, HOMOSEXUALS AND HOMOSEXUAL FORNICATORS!

edP 10:58 PM  

You and KO both used the terms "primary theme" of Christianity in this regarding. Interesting.

If repentance really brings with it the sense of a "change of mind" and the poor have been treated like shit, maybe to make this a more Christian world the poor really should be first and the great should serve them.

The more I think about this it makes sense to me so maybe I should've held my questions on your phrase in the first place. I'm tired now.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP