Great Moments in Local Rock (Vol. 1)
It's hard to decide where to start and I'm looking to you all to remind me of the details I've neglected in these recounts.
Many moons ago, the Magnificent Ambersons played a ton of odd shows just to play them. Some paid, some didn't. I don't remember if it was a paying gig, but we were asked to play for a staff awards banquet at a retirement home. That's right, we could have easily been the last sounds someone's grandma heard. (There's no indication that that happened, btw.)
Anyhow, since they'd never had a rock band before, they weren't exactly sure where to put the band. The dining room was the first choice but I thought it would be much too loud. So, we set up on the patio just outside of that room with the plan to play at the conclusion of the awards ceremony.
In the meantime, we were welcomed to eat from the buffet and enjoy the proceedings. It became quickly apparent that we should have played the rock-star card and hid away somewhere. The awards were for "length of time without an incident" and the like and we quickly got into a laughing jag that was hard, if not impossible, to contain. So, while some of the staffers were silently waiting to hear their name called, there we were trying to stuff more chicken into our mouths to stifle the laughter.
When the ceremony finally ended, it was our turn. We played a number of songs on the patio, including "Rain" (by the Beatles) which was a crowd favorite. After a while, there were only a few people left and we started to wind down the set. As we ended, two Geneva cops made their way across the yard to the patio.
If I remember correctly, one of them said "You'll never believe this, but we have a noise complaint against you guys." The director of the property replied "This has to be the first time ever for a complaint like this from us." The cops were all but laughing and asked us to try to keep it down for the rest of the night. As they walked away, the director mused "Do you think we'll get in the paper for this?"
Another laugh attack ensued.


4 comments:
Yay!
More!
I think I nased some potato salad.
I think of that night every time I eat KFC. That's a classy banquet. I hope someday you post your version of the Plumber's Union Hall gig. I'm pretty sure I had a hospital-worthy fever but you made my night slightly less hellish with something you said.
I don't remember exactly what I said but I do remember B.S. giving us the rest of the keg from the event. We put it to good use.
p.s. - what does "nased" mean, OD?
Post a Comment