More Health Talk
I don't think my doctor was trying to upset me and he did say that, aside from the body mass issue, I appear to be healthy. I think I'm fairly healthy, too. I can run three consecutive miles in less than 27 minutes. I can move an entire band's worth of equipment, play a show, then load it all again in a night (and still get to work on time the next day). I can even ride my bike for 25 miles and have sprint speed left at the end.
My biggest problem is consistency. I'll do something for a while, then abandon it. Those of you that know me understand this to be beyond mere laziness but my general way of life. Even where diet is concerned, I eat a different variety of things every week. Bottom line is, I need to consistently burn more calories than I take in any given day.
I'm not sure if I can do the tv workout in the morning. Once I get workout hot, especially in the summer, it takes a while for me to cool down. I hate putting on work clothes while I'm still sweating. I'm taping the show, though, so I might be able to do it when I get home instead.
Also, I plan to take the dog for a solid 30-minute walk every day. No more missing days. When I get home, I'll try to do pushups or situps or something a little extra since the blood will already be pumping.
As for food, we've been shopping in either the health food aisles at Woodman's or Trader Joe's for a while now. Breads are almost exclusively from Natural Ovens and we freeze them so they last longer. I've been eating low-sodium soups and other small snacks during the work day and I'll be avoiding the weekly donuts/bagels from now on. I've even been enjoying Boca burgers.
I was dismayed to find out that wine, beer, and whiskey have roughly the same calories. Beer, however, has a lot of carbs (especially the dark, delicious ones) which are harder to shake. I'm going to switch back to wine again. I think I figured out that wine was actually a better economical deal, too.
At the beginning of 2007, I made some bold resolutions which stuck for a few weeks, then faded. During Lent, I actually did quit desserts and beer and only started to see results when Easter came up and temptation (especially from New Glarus) became too much.
Now, we're past the half-way point in the year and I want to make some actual progress. I'm never going to be this young again, so this is the best time to make it happen (before everything hurts).
Thanks again to everyone that commented on the last post!


0 comments:
Post a Comment