Wednesday, July 25, 2007

More Tidbits

Supercush is playing Otto's tomorrow night with Pat Clap's new hellbilly band and a touring band described as "dirtcore". I'm coining phrases like crazy, here. If you want a little palate cleanser for your backwoods rock, be sure to check out Supercush.

More Trader Joe's love, too. I got some pre-cooked chicken sausages with mango that were pretty good. Today, I put a leftover sausage (cut up) into a can of TJ's split pea soup for lunch. Outstanding.

Tonight is the final stand for the mighty Timber Rattlers. We'll be there if we can get a word back as to where they play.

I had my first physical in a long time yesterday. Turns out I'm obese (way beyond overweight) which is not really a surprise. Apparently, I'm right at the crossroads where things can start to go wrong, so I really need to figure out how to lose a few lbs and keep them at bay. Any suggestions?

15 comments:

Moderator 1:48 PM  

Go veggie and hit the Delnor Health and Wellness Center.

I'll see you there.

P-Dizzle 2:20 PM  

It is Deprin Park on Hillcrest right next to the Kish river, kind of behind an insurance office near Duck soup coop. If you are coming west on Hillcrest, say from 23, it will be your first right after the river.

jjwiseman 2:44 PM  

MMM, a friend grilled up some of those chicken & mango sausages last weekend, very tasty. I forgot to ask where he got them, so now I know.

jjwiseman 2:45 PM  

And right now I'm trying this: http://lifehacker.com/software/motivation/jerry-seinfelds-productivity-secret-281626.php

For me, 30 minutes of walking or running earns a big X on the calendar.

Sultan of Swaff 7:50 AM  

No offense JJ, but jogging is for suckers. Evolutionarily speaking, it's what we were made to do, so we do it very efficiently and don't burn a lot of calories compared to other activities. If you only have 30 minutes, I'd recommend weightlifting or speed/agility training. And get a personal trainer or training partner--gotta have some accountability. Carolyn got one after baby #2, and it made all the difference in the world. I mean, here was a person who had never exercised in her life, and yet with his help, she stuck with it after years of false starts. Not sure why she meets him at such odd hours (late at night, weekends), but I like the results!

Chris B. 8:15 AM  

hehe - so does the trainer.

Yeah, besides the evolutionary argument, we already walk the dog for ~30 minutes every day and I think I'm at a point of stasis where my body expects it.

I saw a cool video about the trainer for the cast of the movie 300 who didn't want a bunch of bulbous weight lifters for the movie so he did this crazy, constantly varied workout regimen to make them lean and strong.

There's a video out there somewhere that's awe inspiring but I'm at work - no time to find it.

Also, I can't afford a personal trainer or Delnor at the moment. I have to find the motivation myself. And there's donuts today.

Chris B. 8:20 AM  

John, I want to liven that link because it's a simple idea and good advice. There are definitely holes in my dog-walking schedule.

Here it is.

P-Dizzle 8:43 AM  

Get really sick.

Stop drinking beer.

30 minutes of Keith Moon tom rolls from a sit-up position.

Thank me later.

Angela 3:43 PM  

Chris, would you be in to doing a free workout broadcast on tv? I do the workout on the Lifetime channel that is broadcast at 6:30 a.m. Monday through Friday. It's got three different trainers each week that really mix everything up and keep it fresh. Plus it incorporates weight lifting, yoga, kick boxing, and everything else. It's much easier to stay motivated and cross train by doing all the different kinds of workouts on this show. Plus, you get to do it in the privacy of your own home. The name of it is My Workout.

But if you'd like to get outdoors more, I would recommend a podcast personal trainer. It's got to be cheaper than a personal trainer at a gym. Check out podfitness.com

edP 9:10 PM  

I would be into watching Chris do free workout broadcasts from tv.

edP 9:13 PM  

This word obese is serious. I would never put you into that category. I'm not trying to say I know better than a doctor or that doctor's try to scare us...but it is a shocking term nonetheless and I can't see you as obese.

I'm rootin for you buddy. You can come up with a plan and help do the right things for your body.

Me & food, since I quit smoking I told Kim don't even think about getting me to work on my diet until I'm 40.

Shit, that's in less than two years.

Angela 1:04 PM  

I'm agreeing with Ed. No, not about enjoying watching you workout with the tv, but the label obese applied to you. I was really shocked by that because I don't think of you as obese.

jjwiseman 2:01 PM  

a scary animation of the rise of clinical obesity (BMI > 30) in the past 20 years.

The country is under attack, people.

edP 2:48 PM  

I can't believe I put an unnecessary apostrophe in doctors...cuz I meant doctors plural rather than contracting the doc you were talking to and "is"

That was a regular apostrophe catastrophe

Chris B. 9:34 PM  

Unfortunately, I'm 5'11" and just over 225 lbs. I love to eat and I enjoy hand-crafted beers. Plus, I have a desk job.

The accepted norm to put me into a "healthy" category would be closer to 180 lbs. My doctor was not trying to scare me, just get me closer to 200 lbs and away from the potentially dangerous body mass.

I think I might try the tv workout along with the calendar approach.

Thanks for all the suggestions and support!

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP