Thursday, April 09, 2009

Media Player That Actually Plays Everything

The other day, I got a link to a video in MP4 format. I thought this was a standard, and for some reason, thought there was a connection to Apple and Quicktime. I have Quicktime on my computer, along with RealPlayer, Windows Media Player, the Divx bundle, and a few others for various different video formats.

Regardless, the MP4 did not play. All of the various players gave me an error message. It was from a trusted source, so I wasn't concerned about it being a malicious file. So, I checked around. The consensus from my geek friends was that I should be using VLC player from Videolan.org.

The VLC player has the codecs (software instructions) for all of the different formats I'm aware of, and it played the MP4 with ease. Better yet, it's free, and it's a relatively small program. I guess they don't need to put in useless features or marketing crap since they're not trying to sell you anything. Lean and mean - should be a standard for software.

It's actually replacing my video file players and I'll likely use it for audio playback, too.

What do you use?

1 comments:

Gunderstorm 6:31 AM  

VLC is very sweet. I've made it my default player on most of my machines. My work computer hasn't even made it past the WMP config screen. It blows away all of the bloatware out there.

It also does some crazy shit I've only read about - like play video from multi-part RAR files without extracting them (wha?) and rip DVDs.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP