Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Free Internet Security

Sure, you probably get a ton of ads for this (and vi@gra) on a regular basis, but there is a way to clean your machine and keep it relatively safe without spending a dime. I frequently check in with Gizmo's Freeware because they test and recommend different software for different needs. I've found that they are spot on - especially with security stuff.

Since I'm the de facto IT guy in my family, I've done a bit of virus/spyware/trojan removal, and I feel pretty good about making the following suggestions.

1. If your system is running very slowly, and especially if you're having trouble opening Internet Explorer or Outlook, the first thing to do is to clean out your temp and cache files. You can do this with Windows Disk Cleanup (start/all programs/accessories/system tools/disk cleanup) or use a more robust tool like CCleaner.

Formerly known as "Crap Cleaner," this tool does a more thorough sweep of unnecessary files. There's also a component that allows you to manually disable startup processes (programs that launch when the computer starts or restarts). This is especially helpful if you uninstall a program (or virus) that causes an error message ("cannot find XXYYZZ.dll") when you restart. This first step should be regular maintenance - once a week at least.

2. Lots of people know the name Norton because they've been around for a long time and come pre-installed on almost all computers. I have not liked Norton (Symantec) for a long time. The software tends to slow down machines, its conflicts with other software, and their renewal fees and license terms are ridiculous.

For normal home use, I highly recommend Avast anti-virus. It's totally free, self-updates with new virus definitions daily, and doesn't bog down my computer. Gizmo's also points to Avira and AVG as equally effective, free anti-virus packages. I've only used Avast because I've had no reason to switch.

3. One type of virus that does a good job of masking itself from anti-virus software is called a trojan (like trojan horse). It disguises itself as a legitimate file, then unpacks at some point and proliferates in your machine. If you're having trouble with IE or Outlook, this is probably the issue. In this case, I suggest using the A-Squared trojan remover. This just does a deep scan for these types of viruses and removes them.

4. Windows Firewall should also be running. It's a little annoying to have to allow or deny every program you use that connects to the Internet, but it's also eye-opening and much safer. Besides, each time you allow or deny, Windows remembers for next time. (start/control panel/security center/windows firewall)

After running full scans in A-Squared and Avast, your system should be pretty clean. From that point on, Windows Firewall and Avast will keep nearly all virus activity out of your machine. Regular maintenance with CCleaner will keep the system from bogging down with unnecessary files.

2 comments:

Gunderstorm,  8:13 AM  

I've used CCleaner for years. It's extremely handy.

A lot of people bag on McAfee, but I've been a loyal customer for years. I'm sure it violates their terms, but with my one subscription I have it running on three Windows machines. The only time it slows my computer(s) down is when it's running updates.

Chris B.,  8:26 AM  

I don't have any real experience with McAfee, and I am a proponent of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". But yeah, free is free.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP