Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Smash Yer Damn TV

That's right, 18 months after we began our experiment with Dish Network, we're out again. We went from snowy, shoddy signal to perfect picture and DVR heaven. Like a show? Click "select" then decide how much of it you want. Sweet!

Unfortunately, the best thing in the past three or four months (@~$40/mo) we saw was Rob & Big. Very entertaining but not worth $40/mo. Also, this month it goes up to $50/mo. Am I the only one that remembers when the value prop for cable was that you didn't have to sit through commercials since you were paying for content? And who thinks I'm watching Rob & Big at 2 AM and also shopping for a re-fi on my mortgage AND a Bowflex AND a ringtone? Idiots, that's who.

The only thing I'm kind of looking forward to is the premier of Lost, but that has a high potential to crash and burn this season (a la Sopranos). Plus, they send that show out RIGHT THROUGH THE AIRWAVES FOR FREE!! They put HD versions up on the ABC web site, too.

Maybe I'll buy an HD antenna for the roof with the money we'll save on the dish bill. It should only take two or three months to amortize the cost.

Full disclosure - I have no beef with Dish Network. They actually had a better price than Comcast or DirecTV, the signal only cut out once or twice in 18 months (the power went out, too), and the customer service folks I talked to were always nice. If I relied more on television for entertainment, I'd stick with Dish Network. Luckily, I don't. (Well, give it a month or so...)

6 comments:

Angela 4:05 PM  

Trent and I are a no cable kick too. When we moved, we decided it was just too hard to stomach paying $90 or more for internet and cable. So we got internet.

We get about 4 or 5 channels, which is enough for us. We don't actually have any tv shows other than The Family Guy that we watch on tv. The Office, Lost, and 30 Rock can all be streamed so we're not suffering at all.

auftn 6:33 PM  

Tee-Vee? Wut's that?

Next thing you know, you'll tell me they can put movies on shiny silver circles.

We may be the last hold-outs when it comes to the DVD revolution. But we do, actually, have cable. CBS and NBC, though, don't come in very well for some reason. Luckily (for me) ABC does, because I'm totally hooked on Boston Legal.

TV for me, though, is basically white noise. I'll put it on after the lad goes to bed (The last thing that lilbear watched at home (outside of an NFL game), was the Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer special.) When I do turn on the thing, I end up "watching" whatever M*A*S*H, CSI (Vegas only) or Law and Order (all flavors) episodes comes on. Barring those, I'll surf to The Food Network (and pray for Alton Brown or Guy Fieri) or to The Discovery Channel (and if I get that far down on the list, I'll put on just about anything afterward just for the background noise).

And this is coming from a guy who is basically a slug with no life outside the house. I can't imagine when you would find the *time* to commit to tv!

auftn 6:34 PM  

TV? Wut's that?

Next thing you know, you'll tell me they can put movies on shiny silver circles.

Well, we do have cable, actually. CBS and NBC, though, don't come in very well for some reason. Luckily ABC does, because I'm totally hooked on Boston Legal.

TV for me, though, is basically white noise. I'll put it on after the lad goes to bed (The last thing that lilbear watched at home(outside of an NFL game), was the Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer special.) When I do turn on the thing, I end up "watching" whatever M*A*S*H, CSI (Vegas only) or Law and Order (all flavors) episodes comes on. Barring those, I'll surf to The Food Network (and pray for Alton Brown or Guy Fieri) or to The Discovery Channel (and if I get that far down on the list, I'll put on just about anything afterward just for the background noise).

And this is coming from a guy who is basically a slug with no social life. I can't imagine when you would find the *time* to commit to tv!

auftn 6:34 PM  

TV? Wut's that?

Next thing you know, you'll tell me they can put movies on shiny silver circles.

Well, we do have cable, actually. CBS and NBC, though, don't come in very well for some reason. Luckily ABC does, because I'm totally hooked on Boston Legal.

TV for me, though, is basically white noise. I'll put it on after the lad goes to bed (The last thing that lilbear watched at home(outside of an NFL game), was the Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer special.) When I do turn on the thing, I end up "watching" whatever M*A*S*H, CSI (Vegas only) or Law and Order (all flavors) episodes comes on. Barring those, I'll surf to The Food Network (and pray for Alton Brown or Guy Fieri) or to The Discovery Channel (and if I get that far down on the list, I'll put on just about anything afterward just for the background noise).

And this is coming from a guy who is basically a slug with no social life. I can't imagine when you would find the *time* to commit to tv!

edP 6:39 PM  

I think it is so cute that you got the Dish when you knew the Bears were going to have a run in them

...now that it's over, who needs tv

auftn 9:50 PM  

i totally hate making comments.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP