Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Now What? (For 2008)

This year has some potential already. My lovely wife will finish school and we have grand plans for our house. My folks will celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary and my lovely wife and I will celebrate our 9th. I'd like to get one release done from each band, too. Hopefully, I'll progress in my job and the little lady will pick up some gainful employment for the end of the year.
funny pictures
moar funny pictures

We'll decide on a new president this coming year and, depending on the off-season acquisitions, the Bears could make another run in 2008. Also, I'm fully expecting to plunk down some money on a flat panel television this year and put the multimedia system I've dreamed of together. That's plenty for one year.

Also, we watched Sicko last night. I don't really care for Michael Moore and his heavy-handed style, but he poses some interesting questions in this one. Why are we not freaked out by socialism when it comes to police, armed forces, libraries, post office and other subsidized entities, but making health care free for everyone is the lynchpin that would tear us apart? He doesn't mention it in the film, but the institution that tests and approves drugs for public consumption is run by the government (FDA) already.

One more thing - Tim Russert tore up Mike Huckabee and made him look foolish (IMHO) this past Sunday. At one point in his career, he suggested that we treat AIDS as a pandemic and isolate everyone with the disease until it was contained. Currently, he feels strongly that homosexuality is a sin - no condemnation for the current administration calling a war in this interview, however. How homosexuality is the epitome of sin, but signing the paper to knowingly wipe out thousands of human beings is not even discussed?

Last thing - really. Abortion. Huckabee believes that biologically, a life begins once there's a viable zygote, I guess. He believes that the mother is a victim in an abortion (even if she made the choice to go to the clinic). He also believes that a doctor should not be jailed, but maybe sanctioned for performing abortions. Buddy, if you're going to go with the zygote viability argument to turn Roe v. Wade, you better go all the way and call it first-degree murder. That's by your own definition. And, if the mother went in by her own free will to get the abortion, it's no different than hiring someone to kill her husband for insurance money by your definition. That just sounds wrong, doesn't it?

0 comments:

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP