Saul Williams Redux
I think I mentioned this record before, but there are sales/download numbers out now which are interesting. According to Trent Reznor:
Saul's previous record was released in 2004 and has sold 33,897 copies.
As of 1/2/08,
154,449 people chose to download Saul's new record.
28,322 of those people chose to pay $5 for it, meaning:
18.3% chose to pay.
Of those paying,
3220 chose 192kbps MP3
19,764 chose 320kbps MP3
5338 chose FLAC
Keep in mind not one cent was spent on marketing this record.
My two cents regarding the Saul Williams release:
1. The two buttons on the download site said (paraphrasing) "A - I want to support the artist" or "B - I don't care about that - give me free stuff", neither of which fit my approach. I had never heard Saul Williams before but I do like the idea of bucking the system, so I figured I'd give it a try. I'd be happy to pay for a good record. (See item # 2)
2. This record basically sucks. The music was uninteresting and the lyrics pretty much insulting. I didn't learn anything (if that was his intent) and my booty never shook. If I had paid for it, I'd want my money back.
Anybody heard figures on the sales/downloads for In Rainbows?


4 comments:
$141,610 is nothing to sneeze at is it? I don't know how much expense or debt Saul has, but I would guess that kind of money is probably close to the high end of what a (relatively) well-known independent artist (writer) might earn, all told (unless they're getting song placements in commercials/tv/films).
If he has to pay back studio costs or use it for touring, it may not be so much, but hey--over 100,000 have heard your stuff.
I'm not hating the player OR the game, P-diggle. In fact, this only chips away at the RIAA. My problem is that the music itself is no better than the crapola that the majors poop out month after month. I'm guessing the Trent Reznor alliance had something to do with it. I'd also assume that In Rainbows made a LOT more than $100K for Radiohead. And they made a good record.
I know you aren't waxing negatastic on the issue, but it kind of sounds like Reznor was a bit disappointed (though realistic about it).
He took a risk with someone I would consider relatively unknown and made something of it (though I take issue with his claim of "little media coverage.")
Radiohead stood to gain a lot more as they're a pretty reliable known band/brand. Reznor himself did some really creative stuff with the release of his last record. Though both artists' tactics woth be beyond the reach of a fledgling band, they do subvert the current dinosaur model very nicely.
I have no idea who Saul Williams is. But I swear there was a guy named Saul Williams who used to play for the Sox.
Post a Comment