Wednesday, June 06, 2007

My Way IS The Highway

It's always a crap shoot deciding whether to stay on I-88 or take side streets when it looks clogged off in the distance. All too often, I choose the side streets (which run parallel to the highway) and realize that the clog was only temporary - likely some amateur braking too hard for no reason.

On my way home from work every evening, the two left lanes become blocked ("open road tolling" my ass) and the right lane is usually clear. It seems to happen frequently that there will only be one car in front of me in the right lane and as soon as the left and middle lanes hit the brakes, so does that one car. Ahead of the one car is a CLEAR LANE as far as the eye can see. If he doesn't brake, we have clear sailing for nearly a mile while everyone else inches along. Alas, he always hits the brakes allowing tons of cars from the middle lane to dive into my freedom.

Lesson here: on the highway, if you don't see a problem, don't hit the brakes if there's no real reason. In fact, I find that as many times as not, acceleration is a better solution than braking. Rather than get mucked up in a bad spot, why not get clear of it? Leave it behind you. When I see a wide open lane, I hit the gas.

Also, I know that none of my friends would do this, but if you're seeing cars passing you, make sure you're in the right lane. DO NOT ride in the left lane and force people to pass you on the right.

And finally, when entering a highway, you should be hitting the gas AS SOON AS YOU'RE ON THE RAMP - not when you finally get on the highway. I do not understand why people go 25-30 MPH all the way down the relatively straight, downhill ramp onto I-88 when there are cars and trucks barreling along at 65-80 MPH. This is important: if you're merging onto the highway, you do not have a right to a lane. You have to fit into the flow of traffic and the best way is to be going near the speed of the cars already there. It only makes sense. If this is too much to think about, DO NOT TAKE THE HIGHWAY. I'll be happy to map out some side streets for you. I mean it.

Now, I'm not claiming that any of this is legally founded or sanctioned by the state of Illinois, but I am warning you that any infractions of the above suggestions might result in a Saturn Vue up your butt.

3 comments:

Kim 8:39 AM  

Word.
My motto is NO BRAKING ON THE HIGHWAY,EVER -- unless to prevent an accident.
Also, YES speed up on the RAMP -- not once merged.

A word, also, for the idiot, weaving, speeding, cutting-me-off lane changers. This is not a video game. Cut it out.

Nice rant.
Bring on some more!

jeanz 6:31 AM  

Yeah, okay, but are you one of those guys that knows damn well that the reason the right lane is clear is that it's closed ahead & you'll have to merge, but you go all the way up to the freakin' barrier anyway before you decide you can't manage to cut in front of one more car, and then get all pissy when your competition refuses to let you in?

Yeah. I thought not.

Chris B. 4:51 PM  

Well, sort of...

The right lane does eventually go to the toll booth lanes (manual tolling) so if I can't spot a reasonable opening, I just go through the manual one. No harm, no foul, and no pissy.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP