Monday, June 11, 2007

Baseball Question

I listen to some sports radio regularly now. I don't know that much about baseball - seems like there's a lot of minutia to cover. However, regarding the Cubs, I really don't understand how Larry Rothschild has been so completely out of the crosshairs. I've heard each individual pitcher called out, Lou (and Dusty before him), Jim Hendry and the rest of the cast all accountable for their part in a pitching staff that looks great in the pre-season, then falls flat every single year.

Couldn't the colossal failures of both Prior and Wood be attributed (at least partially) to poor coaching? Rothschild somehow made the cut from Dusty to Lou and guess what - the pitching still sucks. On paper, it shouldn't. Anyhow, like I said, I don't know much about the nuances of baseball but it seems to me that the majority of the burden should be on Rothschild at this point. Somebody tell me why I'm wrong.

3 comments:

bigsoda 10:47 AM  

Actually, the starting pitching has been fine this year. The bullpen has gone down the shitter (as made plain by Dumpster's meltdown... again... last night). That being said, I'm not sure how Rothchild made the cut. By all accounts, he's a top-notch pitching coach, but there do seem to be too many injuries. The truth is, those can probably all be attributed to "flax seed oil." Seems like it's no coincidence that a whole bunch of players took a dive once B-Ball started the steroid crackdown.

DC Liar 2:12 PM  

I think that the Cubs pitching breakdown boils down to Dusty keeping the guys in until they broke. Baker was well-known for allowing pitchers to stay in the game way too long and to pull games with very little turn-around.
That's why we still are stuck with the all-star disabled list, and will be until we can afford to cut 'em or trade 'em. Until then, we're screwed.

Moderator 9:06 AM  

I don't understand the Cubs.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP