Monday, June 25, 2007

More on Driving*

Ok, here are a few more things that make me crazy on the road:

1. Tender handling of a gigantic 4x4. I can't tell you how many times I've almost had to come to a stop waiting for a Sierra 1/4-ton pickup to ease its way up the 5-inch curb at the post office. I also saw a Hummer H3 slow down to ~20 MPH on a 55 MPH highway because of a bump going over a bridge. I took it at 60 MPH in my Vue and it held together! And my wife would like me to buy a more masculine car!! For those of you with full-sized, 4x4 trucks, go ahead and hit that pothole, curb, or uneven pavement at full speed. (If you're using the truck to transport a wedding cake, take as much time as you need.)

2. "Baby on board". You know what? In my car, there's ME on board. I'm equally annoyed by all the magnetic ribbons suggesting that I "support my troops" and "love it or leave it" or whatever. In the interest of full disclosure, I will NOT be adjusting my driving based on your cargo. The best way to protect your baby is to be an attentive driver yourself.

3. The Uber-driver. I'm working on an idea for tiered licensing for different levels of drivers. It's probably too complicated (and expensive) to be viable, but I think it would be more fair to drivers that have proven their skills and would make the roadways safer in general. In a nutshell, I'd have different classes of drivers with distinctly different privileges.

For example, a top-tiered driver would be allowed in the left lane on the highway, would get 3-5 "free passes" for speeding (perhaps some other minor infractions, too), and would likely have lower insurance premiums as a result. A middle-tiered driver would be able to use the left lane on the highway only during the day, would have no free passes for speeding (or other infractions), and would have average insurance rates. This would be the norm - closest to the current paradigm. The lowest-tiered driver would only be allowed to drive during the day, would face stiffer fines for any type of infraction, and probably could only access the highway during the day, if at all.

Driving skills tests would be annual or upon request and could change your privilege level (depending on your record). If the infrastructure can be put in place to test vehicle emissions, why not the skills of the driver as well? Also, as part of Driver's Ed, all new drivers should learn how to change a tire, check fluids, check air pressure, and perform other basic maintenance on a car. How about putting the burden of safety back on individual drivers?

* say the title of this post out loud for a clever double entendre...

5 comments:

Moderator 12:48 PM  

I bought my sister a magnetic ribbon that read "God Bless Jingoistic Magentic Ribbons."

Moderator 12:49 PM  

Magnetic, actually.

Chris B. 12:59 PM  

Maybe we can invent a magentic ribbon. Could be the next big thing...

jeanz 6:17 AM  

I'd proudly display a bigDrag ribbon. But nothing else.

As to your point #1 and the Monster Wusses - they do this at smooth railroad crossings, too, and it drives me completely bonkers. Look, if your tires are that flimsy, the monstrosity of the truck will do you no good.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP