Wednesday, September 06, 2006

My Crazy Life

This time last year I was just beginning to breathe easy as I was asked to resign my post as "Relationship Manager" for the company that helped fund our cars and house but also chipped a bit off my soul. (Perhaps a little melodramatic.)

For a month after that, I did essentially nothing. I was allowing the toxic mindset I had fallen into to drain out of my body. The following month, I realized that it would be nearly impossible to win gainful employment for the rest of the year since budgets were depleted and the holidays were near. I threw in the towel with the idea that 2006 would be the year to "right the ship."

So far, that's worked out pretty well. I went from having nothing to do to having no time to get it all done. So far this year, we joined a new church, I volunteered to build a Web site for the church youth group, signed up to build a different site for a prison inmate, may be working as an editor for a PhD candidate, started and ended another sales job, and I've already been under three significant deadlines at my new job as a Technical Writer.

Also, I've been in touch with a childhood friend of mine who is now an afternoon drive personality on one of Chicago's most popular radio stations, another guy I knew for about six months at NIU (who made an impression on me, I guess), and I shot high-powered rifles with a dude who is about as politically connected as one could possibly be.

I put down a list of all the things I wanted to accomplish this year (or in the near future) a while back. So far, we're pretty much done with the first thing. We cut down the dangerous trees, trimmed up the living ones, distributed ten yards of dirt and five yards of mulch around the place and kept up on mowing. The sump pump still runs when it rains but only about 1/5 as much as before the dirt and mulch. Mission somewhat accomplished. The basement is next.

3 comments:

edP 5:15 AM  

But have you explored any other things about which you may be...curious...?

olddogdk 5:52 PM  

That was '04.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP