Difficulty with Real Time
I'm sure I've mentioned that we finally caved in and got Dish Network. I opted for the DVR (PVR?) so we could record the shows we really liked. This is really no different than the old VCR/timer combo other than the absolute simplicity in setting it up to record. It's literally just a couple of button presses and you can get one episode, all episodes as they occur, etc. Plus, with 100 hours, I can't imagine we'll tax the capacity.
Further, there's a smart little button that skips you ahead 30 seconds (standard commercial length) during playback so you can watch a typical 1/2 hour show in closer to 20 minutes. Here's the issue - with all this convenience, it's very difficult to sit through live, real-time tv anymore. I find myself trying to skip ahead 30 seconds (into the future, apparently) and becoming disgusted when I can't. If this isn't the pre-cursor to true "on demand" tv, I don't know what is.
When cable tv first started, the idea was that there were no commercials because you were paying a fee for the programming. Perhaps we'll see a repeat of history with "on demand" downloads of shows.
The big question - how will advertisers insert their message if we can skip advertising?
**UPDATE: Thanks for the thoughts on this - I think everyone is right. Here's another option.


4 comments:
They will make shows like Extreme Home Makeover where the show becomes the commercial...there's more evil stuff but I can't think of it right now
i was close to buying one, but now i just want to build my own PVR. hopefully this year i will actually get it done.. git er done! anyway, the entire entertainment industry (music, tv, movies) is in a really weird state right now. i "have a friend" who just bittorrented the new season of a certain BBC sci-fi series. no need to buy the box set which is due out in november. "he" wanted it now and got it on his own terms. i'm not sure how corporations can compete with it in the long run. everything..all the time...all free.
so long television.
They will embed advertising images subliminally into the programs. Oh... And, they'll burn ads into your retinas with lasers as you sleep.
Their will just be more product placement. Home improvement shows like Trading Spaces already mention that they need to "swiffer" and show them using the product. Making sure you see the Coke billboard in the background during a CSI episode and shit like that.
Post a Comment