Thursday, September 21, 2006

Cool Stuff via Lifehacker

To my Flickr Pro homies - Moo. They're a Web-based printing company with a free promotion where you can take 1-10 of your Flickr-hosted pictures and get "mini-cards" sent to your home with nary a shipping charge. It's only free if you're a Pro user with Flickr but you can get a pack of 100 for ~$20 if you're not.

The second item is a free virtual private network (VPN) package. A VPN allows you to create a secure pipeline between computers. Businesses use it a lot when they have employees on the road logging in to the corporate network. I haven't tried it yet so I can't speak for it's ease of use but it would be cool to have a direct connection to my tower back home without security concerns.

I've seen Lifehacker before but haven't really kept track of it. Since I added it to my list of feeds in Bloglines, I've gotten some really good ideas and learned about some stuff that will make my life easier. Thanks to the Gunderstorm for the reminder.

3 comments:

DC Liar 1:21 PM  

I sent in mine yesterday.

Also, y'all should check this out:
http://www.bensbargains.net/history/5899
If you're up for defrauding the faceless Snausages corporation, a custom 12 month Shutterfly photo-calendar could be yours for a cool $5 shipping fee.

Yeah, free photo crap!

tom o 3:41 PM  

lifehacker, slashdot and gizmodo are severe work time-wasters for me.

bigsoda 6:07 PM  

I've actually started using netvibes to consolidate my many time-wasters into a much more efficient waste of time...

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP