Monday, September 11, 2006

Da Bears!

I went from hoping they wouldn't make a mess of things to hoping they could keep the lead to rooting for a shutout and they came through on ALL COUNTS!!

Last year, Rex Grossman said if he could put 21-24 points on the board, there's no reason why they couldn't beat any team in the league. Then, he put 21 points on the board as advertised and the defense fell flat. Yesterday, they put 26 (admittedly on a struggling defense) and our defensive unit not only did their part, but showed that the cover-2 is no joke - especially with an early lead.

I was alone at home and screaming like I was being murdered after the bomb to Berrian early in the first quarter. The hope was that they could connect on a few short passes and get a rhythm going. I'll settle for a long touchdown pass and 7 for 7 attempts/completions to start, I suppose.

I flipped around to the different football wrap-up shows and the Bears got startlingly little press. Maybe that's because the Packers were such an easy mark after all. I'll be fine with flying under the radar if strength of schedule will affect how much attention the Bears get this year - as long as they continue to crush their weaker opponents.

Detroit should be a good challenge - they looked fired up against Seattle. However, I think we had/have the personnel to destroy Seattle, so we should be able to handle Detroit. I can't wait.

UPDATE - Listening to sports radio today. Everyone is talking about Brett Favre and how bad he was. What about the steady, stifling Bears defense? There's a chance Monsignor Favre will do well against one of the lesser defenses in the league. The Bears are the BEST in the league and they have a chip on their shoulder. Look out.

5 comments:

edP 10:46 AM  

da Bears. My friend da point total was too low. Rex may have had mercy on the septugenarian playing quarterback for the unspeakable cheese team.

Prediction for the Lions game...Bears 130 Lions 0 (and 'dose are real Lions my friend)

P-Dizzle 8:07 AM  

I was just saying on olekobe's blog how I like the schedule this year.

Next two games the Bears get to assert their dominance and work on their offense.

Then Seattle will come and wake them up.

Then they get a few more weeks to make us feel better.

Then comes November where we find out once and for all if this team is really as good as we hope it is.

Chris B. 9:36 AM  

With the exception of the unknown element in Deion Branch, I think Seattle has been grossly overrated for a year or longer. I am anxious for that game as well because I think the wakeup call will be with Detroit (although I think the Bears D still has a chip on their shoulder) and the Seattle game will finally expose the Seahawks as average. You heard it here first.

Chris B. 9:38 AM  

Remember, not only did the Bears D totally lose the playoff game, but they dropped to second place in the league in the last week of the season. I think that is as much of the fuel in the blanking of GB (and ongoing) as anything.

Moderator 6:18 AM  

The Bears D is wicked this season. As they were last season, but I'm happier now since I drafted them for my fantasy team.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP