Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Solution to Musical Doldrums

I now have an opportunity to listen to music at work (and blog, apparently) so I put out the call to my music-loving friends for suggestions as to what's out there on these here internet tubes. There are actually a few options that I really like.

1. Soma FM (www.somafm.com) - They have different channels with various types of music but my favorite is called "indie pop rocks!" There's a fantastic variety of bands I've never heard before interspersed with stuff I already love. It makes me hopeful for music again.

2. Epitonic Radio (www.epitonic.com) - Still a little sparse since the re-org of the site but they also have an excellent variety of musical styles. My favorite genre is "Math Rock."

3. Indie 103.1 (www.indie1031.fm) - An actual radio station out of L.A. that features Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols for a few hours in the afternoon (Jonesy's Jukebox) and a great mix of alternative stuff from the past 30 years. They play Black Sabbath or the Arctic Monkeys or the Pixies or Interpol on any given day. The music is so well selected that I don't mind the commercials.

4. All Songs Considered (www.npr.org/programs/asc/) - There are corners of NPR where I've found some refuge. (Mostly on the weekends.) My friend John E. has been trying to push me in the direction of ASC for a while now. I finally checked out the site and the list of bands they've covered is like a mirror of my own music collection. There are discussions with the musicians, live concerts and sample songs for quite a range of bands. Great stuff.

5. Yahoo Music (music.yahoo.com) - If you have a Yahoo account of some sort, you can log in and this service will allow you to rate different songs and tailor the music it serves to you based on your ratings and preferences. The program director is an algorithm and the goal here is most likely to sell music, so the selection seems a little shallow. It's a solid backup plan if I want to hear Queens of the Stone Age or Portishead.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

edP 8:24 AM  

All Songs Conisdered is one of the reasons I was so hot to upgrade my internet service in the first place. I loved it at work and for better or worse intoduced me to the Arcade Fire (that and David Byrne's radio thing), the Come On Feel the Illinoise record, I listened to a whole Brian Wilson Smile performance and rehersals

I've got to dial in to the Epitonic - I know you and PDawg have both recommended it.

Sadly You Tube and havoc tv have been my resources for getting into bands I have heard about. I guess, at bottom, I like videos and live performances captured by crappy cameras. Man I am stupid. OK, peaceout

Chris B. 10:59 AM  

I can get away with listening to music at work but watching videos all day might get me into trouble.

edP 9:04 PM  

Amen. Yeah, I can't watch at work either...home for the videos...love the ASC

Anonymous,  6:09 PM  

3WK.com is another good online music station. A channel for new indie rock and another channel for obscure 60s-70s rock stuff.

Chris B. 6:33 PM  

I'll check it out!

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP