Monday, July 24, 2006

Enjoy the Vue!

Five years ago, I would not have expected to like a Saturn vehicle enough to want to buy one. Then, while looking for a new wagon for the Old Dog at a Saturn dealership (EdP would have liked to have seen this in person), I saw the promo pictures for the new, mid-sized SUV they were about to launch. My wife (not the Old Dog - sorry, Ed) and I checked it out at the Chicago Auto Show that year and we eventually bought one.

I was concerned about the fact that it was the first model year for a new vehicle (new platform, in fact) but I had always heard good things about Saturns. We got a package deal which included a sun roof, alloy wheels, upgraded stereo, etc. for less than $20K. I actually wanted a manual shift car, so that kept the price down, along with the front wheel drive and 4-cylinder engine.

We've since paid off the car, put >80,000 miles on it, and we've done everything from camp in it (during a rainstorm), move an entire band's equipment, watch drive-in movies, and go on numerous road trips. It's been our utility vehicle for sure. We've replaced the brakes and tires, but beyond that, no issues. I'm sure that writing all of this will secure its fate, but we still have 20,000 miles on the warranty.

My wife and a few others (indirectly) have noted that it is essentially a "grocery-getter" probably geared toward a soccer mom. I disagree. I like how it looks, how it drives and how it's engineered. Add the fact that it gets between 25 and 30 miles to the gallon and the presumed lack of masculinity starts to fade.

I bought the car from the Saturn dealer in the North Aurora Auto Mall just off IL-88 at Orchard Road. The salesman's name is Tom Anderson. He not only got us all of the features we wanted but he didn't try to add anything extra. Simple, fair transaction. He got us a great price for our trade-in and even helped us to recover money we'd paid on an extended warranty for the trade-in vehicle.

Last note on this - since we bought the car, I've taken it back to the dealership for scheduled service visits and Tom still remembers my name every time. You just don't find that level of customer service anymore. If you need a car and a Saturn is a possibility, I recommend it. Call Tom - he'll hook you up.

4 comments:

Sultan of Swaff 11:31 AM  

We bought our second Saturn from the same guy. Poor bastard. I raked him over the coals over my perceived sense of getting screwed by the no haggle policy. I mean really, no haggle? I haggle over anything over a hundred bucks (especially at Guitar Center). So I hardballed him into giving me $1k for our old beat up Cutlass that had the value of the gas in the tank. My hands were tied though, as it was the only car Carolyn looked at. I had no leverage. Thanks, hon. But that experience was nowhere near as emasculating as driving around our old 13 year old Saturn (still see it around town!!)--man was I big pimpin' in that. I hate cars, mainly because I've never owned a new or cool one of my own.

Chris B. 2:29 PM  

You should have talked her into a Sky - those things are sweet!

Lady Di )O( 10:19 AM  

Did Tom talk to his boss and get you $100 off that True Coat? You know they install that True Coat at the factory...

Chris B. 1:03 PM  

I don't understand. This is MY DEAL, SEE?

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP