Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Yin and Yang in IL

So, on the one hand, you've got a wunderkind president taking giant political strides early in his already impressive term. On the other hand, you've got the hornet's nest that is Illinois politics. Probably a wonderful breeding ground to harden someone of reasonable moral fiber. Obama probably spent just enough time in that capacity to experience it, almost get burned by it, then escape it with his dignity mostly intact.

Blago had a miserable approval rating for quite a while. I'm not even sure why, but he's clearly not popular with state politicians nor with the media. I guess that trickles down to the people as well. Then come the allegations, the taped phone calls, the vitriol from the IL senate, and the impeachment. He counters by going on Letterman and the View, and to be honest, I kind of saw his point. Clearly, he's an egomaniac and sees himself as a great martyr (ridiculous assessment), but his primary points are salient - a few phone calls making vague references about value and payments and such are not proof of anything.

It sure looks bad, and it's quite probable that they portend exactly what the prosecution is alleging. But it seems like he should be able to bring his entire case to court. If I were in the IL senate, I'd call his bluff and let him "prove his innocence" so that all the world could see it. If he comes up short, case closed - instant impeachment. My guess, however, is that there are quite a few in the senate that might fall as a result, so this will never happen.

And now, Roland Burris is caught lying in his first few months in Obama's old seat. When Obama took that position, he was impressive with his knowledge of the senate, his take on his place within the senate, and his eagerness to get to work. Burris got in under a veil of suspicion and doubt, and now it's just getting embarrassing.

0 comments:

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP