For The Liar
I guess the Sexy Rexy era is over. Hopefully, this news helps Der Liar to reconstruct his exploded head after the whole Obama thing. I don't totally disagree with the Rex haters, but I also don't think he was here for a good cycle. When he had a running game, a semblance of a line, and a powerhouse defense, he took the Bears to the Super Bowl. I still think Orton is an outstanding backup QB, but we need a premier starter if we're going to get anywhere.
David Haugh sums it up nicely here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-26-haugh-bears-rex-grossman-.ar0feb26,0,1996069.column


3 comments:
Yeah. I feel like Rex kind of got the shaft. I fell into the mob at one point, too, but changed my tune after I realized that Rex was the best chance we had to have a special QB in Chicago. Look at Favre's numbers after as many games as Rex has started. I think Rex will compare favorably.
It's funny... Chicagoans always have that one guy on the team who they blame for everything. Now, with Rex and Kerry Wood gone, who will they blame? Nobody seems to remember the way Manning carved up the Bears defense in the Superbowl; they remember Rex falling down. That pretty much sums up his time here. Good luck wherever you end up, Rex.
During my pro-Rex days, I did do the comparisons with Favre, and Rexy had better numbers early on. I think you'd have a very similar QB situation. Lots of great plays where you think he's one of the best ever, then lots of plays where you think he never quite shook that addiction to painkillers. In the aggregate, Favre is considered among the best QBs of all time, but they didn't make it to many more Super Bowls than the Bears did in his long run.
You know I always joined you in the sympathy for the grossman. For all his obvious faults, he also made some of the best plays in recent memory. All told Rex was the first time since no. 34 that I'd really looked forward to getting the offense on the field to see what might happen. Hell, Rex was the first time in forever that the defense actually got to rest.
And so the defense rests its case. I'm not too sad to see him go but I hope he finds a good spot somewhere.
Post a Comment