Leave it to Wikipedia
So, I wanted to learn more about the stimulus package (aka American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009) and Google turned up all of the media outlet hyperbole - no surprise there. So, I went to Wikipedia, knower of all things, and typed in "stimulus package". Here's the link.
There's a reasonable explanation of what it is, how it was presented, and how it passed at the beginning, followed by a more detailed breakdown of the provisions, how the house and senate adjusted it to their liking, and what we can expect as a result. That sounds daunting, but I highly recommend that you look at it if you're a citizen of the United States. Wikipedia is like the Cliff's Notes version.
Most importantly for me, I finally realize that there are provisions for lowering taxes along with the extra spending the bill offers. This may have been part of the plan all along, or a conciliatory measure to make sure it appealed to as many representatives as possible. Either way, I am no longer skeptical. Whether it works or not, it's intentions were correct, in my opinion.
Another interesting component - the FCC is compelled to create a plan within a year that spells out how every United States citizen has access to broadband Internet. I suppose that's not saying that it's free, but maybe it is. Very interesting...


0 comments:
Post a Comment