Friday, February 08, 2008

Some F'n Week (the long version)

I can't really complain because I know friends of mine are really being tested right now, but I feel the need to recount how things transpired this week if only for historical purposes.

Tuesday morning, I got to work a little behind schedule. I've been dutifully working out at the excellent gym in our building. That morning, I had cast my primary vote and got to the gym with only 20 minutes or so to work. When I got there, I asked the gym manager (whom I know to be outspoken about politics) why we only get to pick delegates and candidates from one party or the other. The result was a 30-minute discussion/argument that forced me to go to my desk sans workout or shower. (Sorry, coworkers.)

In the middle of the discussion, which naturally touched on the war in the Middle East, the gym manager talked about how one or two missiles could effectively cut off all forms of communication in America. I said that would be highly inconvenient, but unless millions of sleeper agents sprung to life that day, Americans (as lethargic as we might be) would eventually fight back. We're resourceful!

Fast forward to the end of the day. Being dutiful, I went to the gym after work determined not to be distracted. On my mind, though, was the fact that my cell phone didn't work anymore. Some of it was a bad phone battery, some was the network itself. I decided while I was working out that we should get Verizon phones as they're a big customer of my company and everyone I've talked to likes their service.

So, on my way home, I stopped at the Verizon store kind of near our house. They were very nice (duh) and happily got me two nice phones, some free storage cards and car chargers, AND I get an employee discount from my job. I asked the guy how long before the new phones would be active - he said "I already activated them." I then realized that the phone my little wifey had in Joliet (at school) was useless and there was a major winter storm approaching.

I left the store and was already starting to customize the phone when I hopped into my car, turned the key and... nothing. Then the interior lights came up but started to dim. Nothing again. So, I tried to push-start it myself (it's a stick) but it was already too slick to get traction. I couldn't call my gal because she was at school AND had a useless phone. Band practice was called off because of the weather, so I couldn't even re-route one of my mates for a rescue.

I could see the Saturn dealership across the parking lot, but their service shop closed 1/2 hour earlier. There was an NTB in the other direction. I hoofed it and bought a new battery feeling a little smart to have a Leatherman tool in the car. I got the negative terminal disconnected, but the positive was so corroded that the entire terminal (connector and all) came out. Double bogus. Now, with no other tools, rags, or gloves, I was no longer willing to freeze further or risk an acid burn. I didn't want to call anyone from DeKalb because of the storm.

The only person nearby was a friend I haven't spoken to in quite some time. (I suck as a friend, in case you didn't already know that.) Regardless, he came and got me and brought me home. It was actually pretty nice because we had a lot to talk about and we even had a beer when we got back to the house. My gal called and she was fine, so that was a load off my mind, too.

The next morning, I had the auto shop at the end of my block tow the car back and install the battery I bought but could not install in the dark, sleety parking lot. They got it all done by noon, but it was so snowy on Wednesday that I opted to take the rest of the day off.

Thursday morning, I jumped into my car ready to do battle with traffic and residual bad weather, but when I started it, it hesitated and the lights flickered. Second try started it up with no problem. I filed it away but didn't panic. After work, I jumped into my car, let it warm up, then pulled out of my spot. Out of the blue, it went totally dark. Dead. I rolled to another spot and called home. After a minute, I tried it again and it ran, so I decided to make it home at all costs. I was low on gas (hadn't thought about that in a while) but I didn't want to stop until I was walking distance from home.

Sure enough, I went to the gas station two blocks from our house. After filling it up, I jumped in and... nothing. I haven't cursed that much in a long, long time. Ready to push it home or leave it there for dead, I called home again to avoid any concern (since I was so close to home). I tried it one more time and, lo and behold, it started. I got it home.

I took the car to Saturn the next morning to see if it was a bad connection, broken cable, etc. I also called NTB to find out if I could replace the battery they sold me which had the right amps but didn't exactly fit. After a minute, the guy said, "I think we gave you the wrong battery." I could feel my face turn red.

I got the car back from Saturn (luckily, no charges yet) and drove it to NTB. They replaced the wrong battery with the right one and now I think the car is in good shape, finally. So, today, I've incurred no further idiot charges, but I had to take two hours of vacation this morning.

And now for my thank you list:

1. Thanks to the Verizon guys for hooking me up with the phones. I like 'em!
2. Thanks to the Saturn dealership for not charging me in my time of crisis.
3. Thanks to my boss for being so understanding.
4. Thanks to my mother-in-law for offering to drive out and bring an extra car.
5. Thanks to Ned for rescuing me AND giving me a good idea for the band.
6. Thanks to B-rad for making me laugh with a web site about Japanese fighting bugs.
7. Thanks to Ericka for driving my gal to her clinical tonight so I could take her car to work.
8. And finally, thanks to the love of my life for being the best, most supportive wife ever. (And hot!)

1 comments:

Angela 11:54 AM  

That's totally, true. Jennie is HOT!!!

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP