Friday, February 15, 2008

Not Sure How to React

My natural reaction is to joke/diffuse, but there's nothing funny here. A grown man (27-years-old) cannot rectify a situation in his mind to the point where the only option is to kill others and take his own life.

What makes it so scary and surreal is that it's so seemingly random. For one person, it might have been a long, thought out, inevitable conclusion, but to everyone else, it was a geology class, a Thursday, another cold day in Illinois. Not the day they would die, get hit with shot, or crawl for their lives.

So, was it medicine (or lack of), abuse as a child, video games, the evening news, or what? Does any of that matter now? What's the lesson from all of this? Whatever pushed him over the edge, he masked it well enough that nobody would have suspected this. Random. Scary.

UPDATE: You know, things have been going my way this week despite the really bad news. Instead of dwelling on it, I'm going to consider the lesson to be that we should enjoy things before they're gone. I've dodged seriously bad luck my whole life and am glad for it.

So, there's a Woot-off. Also, a small electronics shop fixed my laptop for less than I thought it would cost. On top of that, my car has a new battery and the boots I splurged on couldn't have come at a better time with 10" of snow likely this weekend.

1 comments:

olddogdk 1:36 PM  

10 inches of snow, my ass! The weather - that's random.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP