Sunday, November 18, 2007

I Hear the Fat Lady

Well, the good news is we'll get to watch Brett Favre make one more run at the title. It won't be easy with Dallas playing just as tough on offense. I would estimate that Green Bay has the edge on defense at this point. Lots of football left, though, and lots of potential for injury.

Rex played ok but I'm almost sad that Benson shot through for a touchdown today because it provided a false-positive that could cause more bad decisions in the off season. I really think he must have had a stellar offensive line in college. I don't think Rex is the next Manning or Brady or Favre but I shudder to think of who will replace him.

Also, right before half time, Fox got a close shot of Brian Urlacher trotting off the field with a scowl. I was able to read his lips and he said "That's a bunch of bullshit, man. We have two fucking timeouts." If B-Url has anything to say about it, I might get my wish for a new offensive coordinator before the 2008 campaign begins.

What's scary is how many holes we have to fill. After the 2005 season, we were one of the top five defenses and even though our offense was anemic on the pass, we had a pretty solid run game working. Now, everyone is two years older, that much more pounding (you don't get to be a top five defense without dishing out serious punishment) and key guys/positions are missing. It's mind-boggling to imagine what the most pressing need is right now. QB should not even be on the top five list but Rex will most likely be gone after this year, Griese was never meant to be the solution, and Orton doesn't have a run game to mask his inadequacies. Sheesh.

Can we get Marty Schottenheimer? That would be a start.

8 comments:

olddogdk 6:16 PM  

I think Urlacher drives into the country after most games and spends about an hour punching horses and wrestling bulls, just to blow off steam.

Kim 7:48 AM  

Dude: I don't know what this here jibber-jabber is -- Sports Talk, maybe? It's ALMOST as confusing as your Techy Tech Computer talk, but granted, not AS confusing as trying to keep abreast of all the Feminist Blogwar jibber jabber.

That said: thanks for the kind blogwords today, "meatspace," and what not.
I needed that one.
And right back atcha.

The crappiest thing about leaving IL was leaving so many friends behind, esp as these were Later Life friends, folks I really liked, as it were.
So now, I have my Calandar-esque New England, horses and family back, but still miss you guys. It was a difficult decision, indeed.

Thanks again.

Chris B. 7:56 AM  

No reason why you couldn't visit. We have plenty of room. You guys could have one to yourselves and there's even a separate one for the Pea. We live ~20 minutes from DeKalb and 10 minutes from the train that goes to the big city. You guys could use our place as a hub for a long weekend or something. We're pretty good sitters, our place is dog friendly (you could bring the beast), and there it is. Also, you were a vegetarian back then so you never had any brats at our cookouts - so here's your opportunity!

edP 4:05 PM  

Chris did you see the Bears defense on the field?

Marty Schottenheimer isn't the solution to anything unless you want the John Shoop of head coaching.

No arguing with wins, he was won a lot of games...but not too many meaningful ones...

And I was a fan of Marty all the way back through the Cleveland days...

That Chiefs shirt I ued to wear for Ambersons gigs? Marty was the coach of the Chefs

Who are the Chefs?

But the only thing that could possibly make the Bears offense worse is bringing in Marty Schottenheimer.

The offense was not the problem against Seattle (although I am as confused as to why they went away from Benson)

Too many touchdowns? The defense would be tired from getting back on the field too quickly after scores?

edP 4:08 PM  

And if Green Bay is really gonna outlast anybody (even in the crappy NFC) let's see if they can run the ball against a good defense.

The Packers D is amazing, and I gotta hand it to him, Farve is the 2nd Greatest competitor/athlete I've seen in person...

although there is some distance between him and Michael Jordan in my book...

I'd like to see the Packers beat the cowboys hearkening back to those great NFC battles between those teams in the early to mid 90's

I'd get more nostalgic about those days but then I remember THE BEARS SUCKED BACK THEN TOO!!!!!

Chris B. 5:42 PM  

So you don't think the Schott would take an offensive coordinator gig? I'm just saying - the offensive play calling sucks. I don't care if it's Marty or any other attack-oriented offensive coordinator.

Maybe it's Lovie taking the conservative approach, but if the defense isn't showing up, we need the offense to step up. We score seven, then try to ride the storm instead of score seven more.

All I'm saying is - when I know what's going to happen next, the offense is definitely not fooling the opposing team. We CANNOT run two yards up the gut. Period. We CANNOT send Hester on an end-around. Yet we try it over and over again to no avail. Throw that shit out.

There was a great discussion on the radio today about Lovie's recognition of talent. I guess he's made bad decisions in the past and since he's been in Chicago, we've already seen his allegiance to Tank and Archuleta blow up in his face. I get the feeling that Cedric is a teacher's pet, too. There's no other explanation for him. But, Lovie's locked in to a long-term deal, so I'm thinking a strong character on the offensive side might be the trick.

tom o 8:32 AM  

i was at this game. the defense was a joke and that 4th and 1 attempt was pathetic.

i do have to say that Qwest Field is pretty awesome...and loud. real loud. i'm tempted to fly up there for a playoff game just to witness the noise levels.

oh, and chris is you are ever in Seattle go to Brouwer's - http://www.brouwerscafe.com

they have good food and a KILLER beer menu (the menu on the website only shows about 1/8 of the selections).

Chris B. 2:41 PM  

We went to Madison for High on Fire and Mono at the High Noon Saloon - it looked pretty similar!

When we have enough $$ to travel again, I'd like to meet John W. up in SF. Maybe we could take a side trip to this place!

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP