Monday, November 26, 2007

Cyber Monday Quarterback

The Bears sucked through at least two quarters of the game but came back at the end to win in spectactular fashion. Here's my breakdown:

1. Benson went out and there was no loss in production at his position. Adrian Peterson is not a superstar running back, but a great backup and a superstar on special teams. His scrum for a touchdown could have been the turning point of the game.

2. Grossman played well above the final numbers. He had a few passes that required adjustment on the receiver's part but he completed a lot, too. Then there were the five or six drops (maybe more?) which were not his fault. Normally, I would spend time bagging on Berrian for the limp-wristed attempt to "fight" for the ball that was eventually intercepted, but his spectacular endzone catch makes up for it. (I guess. I mean, all of that might not have been necessary if he could have gone to the ball and kept that drive alive.)

3. Grossman should also be credited for another perfect pass for a TD to Olsen but there was a holding penalty that called it back. It was a sweet pass, great catch, and a sure momentum builder - until it became nothing. But, see what Grossman can do with an extra second of protection?

4. Don't have to say much about Devin Hester that hasn't already been said. On the other hand, how about that Todd Sauerbraten?! Neither announcer made mention of the fact that he started out with the Bears. He was an idiot then, too. I think his motto is "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame... aw hell, keep on fooling me!"

5. Take away Hester's lot and Grossman engineered 23 points (+ one TD that got called back). In the old days, when our defense was not at the bottom of the list of NFL defenses, that was more than enough to win a game. Two Hester scores would have been gravy.

6. The Bears are out of balance again and it's not the offense at fault. In 2005, the offense struggled but relied on the defense to score points and keep the ball in their hands (for better or worse). Special teams was good. In 2006, we were in balance for most of the season. This year, the defense struggles but relies on the offense to keep them off the field. Special teams scores the points.

7. I wonder if Obafemi Ayanbadejo would have made a difference.

Overall, despite my griping, swearing, and threatening, the Bears pulled it out and I wasn't even wearing a lucky shirt.

7 comments:

Michael K 8:10 AM  

It was fun to watch. That's all I am asking for the rest of this season. Close games with a few big plays and guys playing with a little heart.

bigsoda 9:23 AM  

The fact that Peterson's legs kept moving and he pushed for extra yards says everything I need to say about Benson. Pack it up, Cedric.

Our O-Line still kinda sucks. We need to spend a lot of time and money there this off-season.

edP 11:35 AM  

The Bears have an offensive line?!?!

Moderator 3:48 PM  

Peterson looked good a few times Sunday. But I agree with your evaluation.

olddogdk 9:58 AM  

I didn't even bother to watch the game, but happened to catch the last 10 minutes and nearly had a heart attack.

We had a Bears win to celebrate. That's a good thing.

olddogdk 9:59 AM  

We relish them when they are few!

P-Dizzle 7:09 AM  

I don't ask for much, just a revamped line + a pro bowl-caliber safety that can keep from getting hurt.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP