Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Another Football Post

So, there are problems. It seems like the biggest problem (despite all the media attention on QB and RB positions) is that the defense is not able to win games. I heard somewhere that they're close to the bottom of the league in overall play. There have been precious few turnovers this year, sacks are almost nonexistent, and where the defense would absolutely suffocate and frustrate opposing offenses, this year they let them convert.

For a team that relies on its defense and running for control of a game, neither are available or effective this year. So, especially if the Bears lose to Oakland, here's what I propose:

1. Find another safety. Archuleta is a disappointment but I think a broken hand and a mismatch against pass plays have made him look worse than he is. Lined up next to Mike Brown with both Vasher and Tillman on the sides, I can't imagine a better coverage team. Since that's not possible, get a new Mike Brown. Tall order, but that's what we need since he's not available.

2. Mike Brown = Safeties Coach.

3. Michael Turner is from NIU and is relegated to 2nd back in San Diego. Trade Benson to SD for Turner straight up. I'd even throw in Berrian to sweeten the pot. Turner is proven and ready to be the load guy and that's what we need.

4. Even the good O-Line guys are old, so replace the whole damn thing. We might keep one or two vets to help usher in the new guys, but we need world-class protection and a new attitude - then we can develop a QB and a run game for real.

5. Marty Schottenheimer doesn't have a job as far as I can tell. He might ruffle feathers and piss people off, but he knows offense. Ron Turner hasn't done shit. The defense took the Bears to the playoffs and Superbowl last year - not the offense. Also, I think Grossman is what we hoped he would be but a lack of adjustment in practice, game planning, and during games doomed him. What we've really learned is that Thomas Jones was a great running back despite all of these factors. No wonder his teammates miss him.

Also, if the Bears lose to Oakland, bench Benson and give Wolfe the ball. Bench Berrian and Muhammad and see what other receivers might step up. There's nothing to lose at that point and they can get a jump on player development/assessment while we mark time until next year.

3 comments:

DC Liar 1:12 AM  

You're reading my mind.
Stop it.

Chris B. 5:09 AM  

I'm totally mental.

P-Dizzle 12:32 PM  

Yeah dude. Especially new offensive line.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP