Where's It All Go?
I got a bonus from work. I don't remember the last time I had a job and heard "Here's some extra money. Nice work." Great surprise, really. Then, I got the pay stub and saw how much of it I actually got to spend. Naturally, I was left thinking "WTF?"
This won't be some screed on the percentage and whether we should have a flat tax or some other idea (although I'd love to see reform). Rather, I'm going to focus on what I get for sending that cash to the government.
The money primarily goes to fund our military efforts, I suspect. End result? People dying overseas, no end to the fight we started in sight, gas prices approaching an all-time high, Osama still at large (although likely just a figurehead anyhow), and this.
I'm no more concerned about flying as a result of this finding because I'm assuming that 99% of all bombs at airports are brought in by these TSA "red teams" in the first place. Also, you only have to wait in a security line once to understand that you could get anything you wanted through there pretty much any time if you were so motivated. All this infrastructure to combat a mentality (which, by its nature, cannot be controlled.) And we're footing the bill.
Why do we have a Department of Homeland Security? I don't feel any more secure knowing that there's a color chart to warn me about an attack. I saw six or seven blacked-out tour buses heading west in a convoy in November - each of them had "Department of Homeland Security" emblazoned on the side. I don't think the Rolling Stones use that much gear, so what was all that about?
Anyhow, I wish I knew that the chunk of my bonus that went to Uncle Sam was being used for something I could appreciate. (The other chunk got me a new snare drum!!)
UPDATE: I'm not alone here: http://www.boingboing.net/2007/04/02/movie_plot_threat_co.html


1 comments:
The government needs to spend its money on more important things, such as substities for tobacco growers, anti-smoking programs, killing wild donkeys, and Israel.
Post a Comment