Friday, April 20, 2007

Mono at The House

For my friends in the big city - check out Mono! They played in DeKalb last night and it was a mesmerizing show. I've never heard a band get so quiet - no amp noise, no bad cables, no lingering distortion fuzz - they worked some of the songs down to totally silent, save for the delicate string work of the guitarists.

Mono is from Japan and I got the impression that they didn't speak much English. Didn't matter - they are purely instrumental. If you're familiar with Seam, Mogwai and My Bloody Valentine, you get the picture. Major mood swings brought to life with sound. Perfect sound.

So, if you're in Chicago and you like this kind of music, tonight is your chance. Mono is playing at the Empty Bottle. While you're there, you can pick up one of their many CDs, including the last one recorded with Steve Albini right there in Chi-town.

For the rest, here's my best attempt at bootlegging a song. It was dark and my arm got tired...

0 comments:

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP