A Little Help, Please
I'm trying to figure out why Don Imus (not even on the radio in Chicago) is the top news story of the week so far. I guess I'm a little conflicted in how to feel about the actual issue.
On the one hand, there's the whole freedom of speech issue. You should be able to say what you want and there's usually more room to move in the context of a comedy show. On the other hand, you couldn't say "fuck" over those airwaves, and to a large chunk of the population, the words he was saying were far more offensive. And, the reason you don't hear "fuck" on the radio is because a much larger chunk finds that offensive.
So, maybe certain other words should be removed from the airwaves, although I can think of other benign uses for words like "nappy" or "articulate". Other words have no positive meaning outside of a comedic context and could be stricken, I suppose.
Deeper into it, I understand that what Imus said was wrong and he should probably be punished somehow, but wouldn't the most fitting punishment be for everyone that was offended by him to stop listening? Maybe even campaign against him? I guess I'm not sure that saying something ignorant should be grounds for ending an entire career. Don't get me wrong, I've seen Imus on MSNBC and was bored to tears. I think he's an idiot, but that's beside the point.
Michael Richards - I think he should have to refund everyone he offended at his show, make sweeping apologies if he is truly sorry for what he said, but then living with himself seems like plenty of punishment after that. Shit, the first time someone approaches him and says something like "you were totally right in what you said" will hopefully be his cross to bear.
I'm most concerned for Don Rickles in all of this. He's made a long, successful career out of saying stuff like this. He spreads his version of love around to everyone, though, and makes it clear that he's joking around. I guess if you are prepared for some "off-color" comedy (hope that's not offensive) it's not actionable.
UPDATE: Charles Barkley is the voice of reason. Who knew? He said "I'm satisfied with his [Imus's] apology. He should be suspended but not fired for saying one thing. He apologized on the tv and the radio and now it's up to his advertisers and fans to decide if they'll stay with him." Done and done.


13 comments:
"Wouldn't the most fitting punishment be for everyone that was offended by him to stop listening?"
Exactly. He already apologized. Now he should tell the brain-dead idiots not satisfied with that to kiss his ass. This is ridiculous.
Right. It's not like listening to Imus is mandatory. I certainly find Sean Hannity pretty offensive, but I mitigate that by lurching for the radio controls whenever Laura turns the car off listening to Roe Conn (who's on before Hannity).
It's like that Simpsons episode when the ad mascots come to life: "Just Don't Look"
It's the top news story because really, who wants to discuss the four-year anniversary of the fall of Bagdhad?
I feel the same way. However, I am not surprised by Sir Charles backing him up. If he got fired every time he said something offensive... Well, you get my drift.
As far as people boycotting him, I don't think the people who were offended by his comments listen to his show. That's why nobody heard about any of this shit til almost 4 days after it happened. I read about it in the Washington Post yesterday.
Finally, this is being blown way out of proportion because the media loves to crucify racists. Especially racist white men in seats of power. I am not saying they shouldn't when it is deserved, but they can get a little over zealous when it comes to these things.
Here's my take:
I used to watch Imus while getting ready for work (Trust me, it was the best morning "news" show on at that hour - That's not saying much), but stopped because he pissed me off during the Foley scandal.
Yes, you can just stop watching.
What concerns me with this whole thing is that a significant portion of the populous seems to think that if someone says something insensitive they should lose their job. Where do you draw the line?
If he had called the Arkansas team "a bunch of back-woods inbreds" would this even be an issue?
Jackson and Sharpton have amassed great fortunes by perpetuating the "victim" stereotype, and in doing so have obfuscated the greater problems facing their community. By blaming all inequities on discrimination they are perpetuating those very inequities in addition to creating a nation of thin-skinned crybabies.
If that view makes me a racist, so be it. I'll be sure to send out notices to all of my black friends (or just pick up the tab next time we're out drinking).
The Rutgers team should have come out and issued a statement that simply read "Fuck Don Imus", everything else is just shrill noise.
Period - End.
I forgot - Imus was the one of the biggest supporters for Harold Ford's Senate bid. All he would fucking talk about is how great that guy was in the weeks leading up to the election. If he is a racist, he probably needs glasses.
I think the Liar has touched upon a point I know I have made rather cautiously a number of times in the past as it comes off as insensitive even if it is (and it might not be)correct. The black community's leadership has tended to do a lot of finger pointing instead of taking care of business. I think just about everybody who has had the misfortune of sitting with me at the Annex in past years has heard my diatribe on the lack of personal responsibility eroding the country. Unfortunately, it seems to be doubly true in the black community. I think that's mostly due to not feeling a part of their community or having ownership of it. Big problem is that, even if I am right, the black community doesn't want to hear it from a white guy.
Sorry to Chris for using his blog to release this rant. Maybe I'll use my own blog later to go into greater detail.
Can we get back to ignoring women's basketball now?
DC: In case you haven't reviewed your comedy manual lately, it's still okay to make fun of rednecks and blue-bloods. The best're part about making fun of blue-bloods is that they can be black, white, Inuit... Whatever! As long as they have that stick up their ass, they're fair game.
Mike: I don't think anyone has a monopoly in the "victim economy." Unfortunately, as a society, we have allowed the American dream go from building a legacy from the ground up to waiting for your $72 million coffee spill.
I'm not saying that it is solely a black problem, Devin. It is a universal problem but the black leaders that get the most press (Farrakahn, Jackson, Sharpton, etc...) never seem to speak up until they feel they can ride a wave of indignity. I understand that people need to take a stand against racism and I have taken part in some of those protests myself but this is a crock of shit and Al and Jesse know it.
Let's not forget the totally unfair treatment Norwegian-Americans suffer on a nearly daily basis.
Gundy - can I get an "Uff da"?
Yup, He's out.
---
I'm only part Norwegian, so I'll just give you an "Uf".
'Ole and Sven' jokes are just bigoted and insensitive. Stop the cruelty.
Bye-bye.
Chris B., I've had the bad fortune of being stuck at home sick the past two days, and the worse fortune of seeing about 2 minutes total of the 24/7 news coverage of it. There's all kinds of wrong with the whole thing; from people caring what that windbag has to say, all the way down to the coverage of this whole flap as "news".
Post a Comment