Friday, December 29, 2006

Fidel is Still Alive

Hard to believe that one conspirator against the United States has lasted all these years, in sickness and health, while a dude that once appeared to be our ally is not being put to death as an enemy of the state. I understand that he's not here and we're not putting him to death ourselves, but it sure seems like this is a culmination of the chain of events we put into motion.

I know he did ghastly things and I know that's an understatement. I also know that thoughts on the death penalty are different around the world. I believe that this "statement" execution will also cause more harm than good. Saddam will become the martyr that will spawn a new generation of hatred and terrorism. I believe he's not worth it. I don't think he was anything more than a thug.

I don't think he should be put to death. The same way I find it atrocious that he murdered human beings in bulk, I also find it sad that the cycle of horror has to continue this way. This will be the call to arms for even more bloodshed.

The crazy thing is that Fidel has been fighting the U.S. all along and yet he's avoided assassination, the fall of Communism, and what appeared to be his final illness. WTF? He must not be a terrorist. Or maybe he's the greatest terrorist of all.

3 comments:

P-Dizzle 9:38 AM  

Saddam won't be a martyr and the people of Iraq needed to see him gone.

I share your thoughts on the DP though, for the most part, and wonder what the absence of Saddam means in the big picture.

One thing people need to understand is that he was never our "ally" and we never "supplied" him. For a very short period after the Iran hostage crisis, we gave him intel on Iran. The stuff he bought to use for chemical warfare was obtained in small amounts from US hospitals and universities under the guise of medicine, then stockpiled and developed into weapons. In other words, we never gave him "nerve agent X" bombs.

The much-vaunted Rumsfeld visit (which even I like to make hay out of) occurred during our energy crisis and ata a time when Saddam was building his army. America felt we needed to sniff around. Nothing came of it.

It was the Soviets who supplied the weapons. And France was Iraq's biggest client.

P-Dizzle 12:49 PM  

Now it looks like Moqtada al Sadr's thugs were the executioners.

This whole thing is f'd up.

Chris B. 5:22 PM  

Thank you for the info. I've kept my head in the sand (where it's quiet) regarding the trial and further proceedings. Even still, I think Saddy and Rummy were buddies on the sly. Maybe blog buddies.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP