Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Branson Blues

Our trip to Branson was coated with ice and covered with snow but still managed to be fun. I had discussed with my dad a few days earlier that much of how things turn out has to do with the perception and expectation of an event.

In the case of this trip, my normal inclination when coming to a complete stop on the highway would have been to react either with anger or dismay. However, I began to think of it as an adventure replete with frozen trees and gorgeous, hilly scenery that wasn't whizzing by at 70 MPH.

We had a new, comfortable car, plenty of music and entertainment, and J and I never have a hard time finding things to discuss. Since we drove, we brought food and drinks, blankets, pillows - the works. We were totally covered so I was relaxed.

The highway mercifully cleared just outside of Springfield (MO) and we made good time through to Branson. We had started earlier in the morning and it was already dinner time when we got there. We met the rest of my family at Dick Clark's American Bandstand Restaurant.

Every touristy destination has one thing that it's known for and a deluge of other crap lacking any substance. In the case of Branson, I believe it's popular because of the shows. It's an arbitrary oasis built solely to cater to tourists. That means that you run a 50% chance of finding either a great restaurant or a norovirus. I guess I'm more the target market for Las Vegas than Branson in that I don't care for country OR western and I had more than enough of Yakov in the 80s.

That said, though, I had fun. Again, it's all about perception and expectation and seeing my grandma on a vacation was great. Watching my dad ordering at Sonicis a blast - he went there four times that I know of - maybe more. My mom and sister are expert shoppers and buzzed about the myriad malls finding styles not available in Illinois and stuff for Christmas, I'd guess.

The most important part was that J and I got to spend time talking without a bunch of interruptions. That's the best part about vacation regardless of how the vacation turns out - you break the normal routine and have time to think and talk.

More tomorrow...

1 comments:

jeanz 6:27 AM  

I completely agree - the talkin' time (and, in between, the not-talkin': lost in thought together) is the very best part of any road trip.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP