Friday, December 22, 2006

Bears Talk

This is the year. We have the best shot at taking it all the way this year. I knew it before the season started. I even put money on it. Here's why:

I did not think Grossman was going to keep his stellar play at the same level all season but I did think he'd stay relatively healthy. He's a great quarterback for a number of reasons. He takes what's in front of him and does his best, then learns more from week to week. Keep in mind that he's had three offensive coordinators (thus, three different systems) with minimal playing time until this season. Sure, he did look awful for a few games, but he appears to be back in prime form.

We have a dominant defense. With all the injuries of late, it's clear that we have starters on any other team playing 2nd and even 3rd string behind superstar players. The fact that we're currently a little leaky on defense probably stems from the fact that these bench players are not used to playing a full game. (That's not the normal strategy even for the starters.) If we get Tank and Vasher back, there's a little less reason for concern.

Our special teams group is phenomenal. Brad Maynard stays out of the spotlight (the lonely kicker) but is one of the best, most consistent players on the team. Plus, I would hate to get hit by Adrian Peterson or Brendan Ayanbadejo (sp?) at full clip. They are brutal on kick returners.

Finally, the Bears claim to be a running offense. There has been a lot of passing this year (for better or worse) which I believe to be the indoctrination of Rex Grossman. Meanwhile, we really have an outstanding running game waiting in the wings. My greatest hope is that we have long, grinding running games in each of the playoff games and the Superbowl. If Grossman can get a few passes to Moose and Dez and stretch a defense, our three running backs can break a hole in any line.

I'm a little tired of all the complaints, the lack of national coverage (other than for controversial stuff), and the second-guessing. The Bears stated their goals under Lovie Smith - beat the Packers (check), get into the playoffs (check and check), and win the Superbowl (as yet unchecked.)

This is the year.

1 comments:

edP 11:11 AM  

Here's another reason why the Bears (almost as much as the Chargers) stand above the crowd...look at last Sunday's game. Everything was set up for a letdown...win on Monday night, not all that much to play for - and then they blew a big lead in the latter portions of the 2nd half.

Most teams that are called good or back on track this year - get derailed again in the next week or so (see N.O. and its loss to the mighty Redskins).

The Bears keeping winning the games they are supposed to and have a lot fewer letdowns than the rest of the league

What would Lovie say?

"We're 12-2...Rex is our quarterback...Tank put down the grenade..."

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP