2006 In Review
This has been a fairly crazy year and it's gone by quickly. It was a very productive and positive year. This time last year was relatively stressful as I was out of work (again) and had few to no prospects on the horizon. Even then, I had an inclination that 2006 would be the year that we'd get things on a good, healthy path. So far, that's proven to be the case.
We found a church that we both like. It's totally inclusive and intelligent without eschewing spirituality. I mean, the pastor has quoted Studs Terkel in his sermons, for Christ's sake. [Literally.] Anyhow, we've gotten fairly involved in the church and it just keeps getting better.
I found work in February which got the bills paid as I looked for a more suitable (and closer) job. J got her degree and started taking prerequisite classes for her nursing degree. I quit the February job in favor of a job back at Tellabs where I had started six years ago and only made it six months before corporate-wide layoffs. By some stroke of luck, fate, karma, or whatever, my old boss had just gotten clearance for some new writers. She worked hard to get me back and I'll always appreciate it.
So, for all the whining and caterwauling of last year and earlier this year, I'm in a very low-stress job with a boss I like and a great group of co-workers. I get to listen to music all day and nobody is watching over my shoulder unless they're offering help. It's less than half the distance of the job from February and it's back in the area where I worked for about five years. I know where to go for lunch.
We made big changes to the house - particularly to the back yard which was one of my biggest concerns. The big, dead poplar trees came down in the Spring (we still have plenty of firewood) with help from my folks and my dad fixed our lawn mower which saved us about $300. It looks good and water drains away from the foundation now.
Earlier in the year, we looked at some possible options for a new car for J but decided to stick with the Jetta since we were only a year from paying it off. On a trip back from Chicago, we learned that the tail lights were not working at all. VW said - "Oh yeah, that's a recall." Very helpful. Idiots. I don't care if they develop a car that makes sandwiches - I'll never buy another VW.
The tail lights were the last straw so we got a new Honda CR-V. It's a nicer car in general and I anticipate that we'll have no trouble with it at all. We already drove it through the worst snow/ice storm in Missouri since 1934. No issues, no worries.
That's the other important thing - we've been taking lots of little trips this year. Last year was harrowing with me teetering on the brink of a layoff (and then not having a job) so we didn't see J's brother in CA at all. That was a drag. This year, we've been back to L.A., to Branson for a family trip, and to Northern Wisconsin for a camping excursion. We're headed to Nebraska for a wedding before the year is done. Busy, busy.
I'm sure a lot more has happened but I'm already taxing my attention span (and undoubtedly yours). In summary, 2006 was our year to "right the ship" and we did that, for sure. 2007 will be a focus on fine-tuning. Maybe I'll actually make progress on this gut.


3 comments:
This is, like, the best Christmas letter that I didn't get in the mail this year.
Live long and prosper.
Dang German engineering.
Yeah, don't expect anything in the mail. We're saving a few trees this holiday season.
Post a Comment