Tuesday, February 14, 2006

"The Terrorists Have Won."

My brother-in-law hooked me up with a copy of SOCOM 3, a Playstation 2 game where you can get online and pretend to be a Navy Seal and run covert operations agains a legion of terrorists. There are a few things that are disconcerting about the game (although I've still gotten mildly addicted to it):

1. The terrorists in the game are clearly middle-eastern in appearance, but they seem to be speaking a mix of Chinese and Spanish.
2. During online play, you can be either a Navy Seal or a terrorist.
3. If the Seals don't keep up their end, the game voice says "The terrorists have won." (Don't tell the president.)
4. The game allows for chatter over the internet (using a microphone/headset) and mostly there are little kids playing.
4a. I can't go for more than two minutes without getting killed.

If you can deal with that and you don't mind having a ten-year-old splatter your grey matter the second you hit the battlefield (and then dance around your corpse), you might like this game.

On a lighter note, if you prefer something with less blood, I highly recommend Katamari Damacy or the sequel (We [heart] Katamari). It's a totally surreal game but the goal is fairly simple - roll your magnetic ball and collect various items (they stick to it) to grow the ball within the alotted time. Sounds stupid but it came highly recommended and is actually really fun.

Finally, if you're into games, EB Games and Gamespot sell used PS2 games for as low as $1.99. NBA Street and Gran Turismo 3 for $2.99 each? You can't beat that entertainment value.

1 comments:

jjwiseman 11:33 AM  

One time I had a kid on my SEAL team that couldn't have been older than 8 or 9. And this was at maybe 1:00 pm on a normal weekday.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP