HD Television Issues
Thinking about getting an HD television? It's not so easy.
We had Dish Network a few years ago, but canceled it because we weren't watching it enough for $40+/mo back then. We've been using the regular antenna in the attic for local channels since. Not great reception, but it didn't matter. We watched Netflix and Hulu, mostly, on the computer.
Our antenna, with no changes, pulls in some local HD channels, but not CBS, NBC, or ABC. So, I'm looking for inexpensive programming. We mostly watch stuff on the major networks, and cable channels are not super appealing (so we don't need the "top 200" by any means.) Here are the choices I've found:
1. New antenna: Local company will install an upgraded antenna with preamp and rotator for $300. It should pick up digital and HD from all of the local stations for free.
2. Cable: Only option in Sugar Grove is Mediacom. Only options from Mediacom are $21/mo local stations only, or $52/mo for 150 channels. Add $10/mo for HD content on either plan.
3. DirecTV: One year @$29/mo for top 100 channels, goes to $54/mo after one year. +$10/mo for locals, +$10/mo for HD content, too. Quick math - $74/mo this time next year.
4. AT&T U-verse: Not available in our area.
5. Dish Network: Liked them last time, just didn't use it and needed to shore up expenses at the time. Now, I would love to get their $24/mo "bronze" HD package. I'd even consider signing a 24-month contract to waive the setup fees, etc. However, since we already have an account on file, we don't qualify for any "new customer" discounts, so we'd have to buy the equipment (HD/DVR receiver, dish), pay for the install, and still pay them service charges on all that stuff per month.
I haven't even added in the DVR option, which we'd like. The DVD recorder we got could do it, but the Dish DVR was pretty sweet.
So, am I missing anything? What do you have? How much do you pay? Are there any little tricks for getting cheaper service somehow?


0 comments:
Post a Comment