Friday, January 16, 2009

Exit Speech

Well, I watched the exit speech from G. W. Bush last night for some reason. Still not sure why, but I did. Tuesday can't come quickly enough.

Not unexpectedly, Bush essentially took credit for standing on rubble and making a statement. He then talked about all the people who like him (no more than five, by my count) and how he put up a superhuman force field around the nation so that no more bad things would happen.

He also reiterated his stance on terrorism. According to Bush, any time one group perpetrates evil on another group in the name of their ideals, that's terrorism. He also lauded the United States for bringing democracy to the Middle East by whatever means necessary. Contrary? You decide. I wonder if he considers the historically tragic college shootings that occurred under his watch to be terrorism.

Here's his speech if you're interested.

I can't believe we let this continue for eight years, but I'm glad we have someone talking about concrete things instead of sentimental notions now. I sure hope Obama doesn't drop the ball here, but the bar is pretty low, and his outside jumper is not bad.



EDIT: Here's a start - looks like part of Obama's proposal to invigorate the economy includes billions toward improving our broadband infrastructure. That means the customers of my company might get some. It also means he's in touch with the rest of the world (we're way behind Europe and Asia in speed and quality of internet overall). From Telephony magazine:
President-Elect Barack Obama is likely to direct up to $40 billion in grants and loans toward improving broadband availability and speeds as part of broader economic stimulus efforts, according to UBS analysts.

0 comments:

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP