Thursday, June 05, 2008

What's Old Is New Again

I have a theory that diversity of diet is part of the problem. While researchers look for the specific compounds that trigger different cancers and diseases, I'd suggest that the root cause is more about non-indigenous foods.

One of the oldest sayings I remember is "you are what you eat". Maybe that has something to do with geography, too. Italians (in Italy) eat olive oil, tomatoes, and other Italian foods. Norwegians and Japanese eat lots of fish. Here in the Midwest, I can eat any kind of food I want, from greasy fast food to top-shelf French cuisine. Even as far as I am from Chicago, I can get some of the best Thai food I've ever had any time I want. We're pretty far from an ocean, yet we can get decent sushi.

This is an extravagance and I am well aware of it. Yesterday, I heard an interview with a guy that eats nothing but Mars (candy) bars every day. He does take some vitamin supplements, but other than that, only candy bars (10-12 a day). Despite the obvious concerns, his doctor claims he's in excellent health. Also, there's a guy in Wisconsin that eats two Big Macs every day. He may or may not eat other stuff, but he never misses the Big Macs. His doctor, also, gives him a nearly perfect bill of health.

Now, I see that these two are anomalies, but my theory is only begun here. My grandpa smoked (a LOT) and drank pretty hard his whole life. Sure, his lungs are in rough shape at nearly 90 years of age. His liver has held up, though, and cancer never entered the equation. On the one hand, he likely has a stellar genetic composition. On the other hand, his diet was very simple. I'd guess the majority of meals in his entire life were ham and butter sandwiches.

My dog eats the same food every day and does not fluctuate in weight or health unless we change something like food brand or exercise. She'd love to eat whatever we're eating instead because it smells good to her, but I wouldn't give her what we eat because I know it would be more detrimental than good. Hm.

The latest trends in food, both in grocery stores and restaurants, is to use organic and locally-sourced foods as much as possible. So here we are, in the age of information and manufacturing, moving forward by going back to how we did things before the age of information and manufacturing. Pre-chemical and pre-transcontinental cartage. We're paying a premium to eat what we have around us.

Eh, who am I fooling? I love the variety.

3 comments:

P-Dizzle 9:51 AM  

Your theory sir is actually akin to a couple established and related nutritional theories.

One is that your diet should accord with your blood type. You may have a taste for certain foods, and they may be otherwise "healthy," but that doesn't mean they agree with you. The other, related, is that what people from your ancestors' part of the world ate 10,000 years ago will probably be most agreeable to you.

Unfortunately I think this means lots of cod for you and I. Fortunately, I have a hard time buying that theory wholesale.

Another I have heard is that mixing various food types at meals is a bad idea, screws with digestion and your ability to absorb nutrients. Probably where ancient food regulations came from (like 'kosher').

But the tip I heard on NPR t'other week is probably the best for us Midwestern omnivores, and gels with your final thoughts: Don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't recognize as food!

Chris B. 10:08 AM  

Well, you said it much prettier than I did. You should start a blog or something! ;)

My grandma got my grandpa to 90 years old on her cooking and I have her recipe book. Suppose I should whip that out sometime.

edP 10:35 PM  

I live near a landfill.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP