Thursday, June 29, 2006

Re-discovery

I was digging through some old CDs and stuff - partly for my ripping project (trying to get all of them onto my PC and iAudio player) and partly to find another CD I wanted to hear and I came across some bands I forgot I liked. There was a time when I really liked Lenny Kravitz. I heard "Mama Said" and it all came back to me. I liked a few whole Jamiroquai records, too. The biggest rush of emotion came from Firehose. I found "Flyin' the Flannel" and remembered why I like Mike Watt so much. He and Ed (FromOhio) and George were making the best of a bad situation and the result was some underrated and overlooked music.

On a similar note, there are a lot of artists who make music that could fit into any era (even if their "genre" didn't exist) because the music transcends trends. Then there are artists that are still around despite the odds. Case in point - I forced J to watch Vision Quest (Matthew Modine vehicle) because she hadn't seen it. Madonna does a cameo as the singer in a bar and I can't believe how bad she sucked back then. Couldn't hold a note and not overly attractive. Nick Cave pulled this off way, way better in Wings of Desire. She's no better these days (so I hear) but collecting a wicked paycheck. Where'd she get that accent, anyhow? I can see her kids picking it up, but she's from Michigan.

5 comments:

olddogdk 7:10 PM  

I shall call you Tune Man. Thanks for tunes, by the way.

olddogdk 7:10 PM  

Oh, yea. Do a good show, eh?

edP 11:34 AM  

I'm not from Ohio.

Oh, everything isn't about be is it...

bigsoda 7:58 AM  

'member when we used to listen to "Flyin' the Flannel?" 'member?

And Madonna's accent is just an East-east-east-east-east Detroit accent...

Chris B. 6:34 PM  

I remember the Luxor. I remember getting addicted to that one game by Ambrosia software, too. Oh, and years of rock and awesome barbecues.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP