Thursday, June 08, 2006

Fresh Start

This has been a crazy week. I got an offer to go back to work where I had worked six years ago as an Associate Technical Writer. Last time, I got there during a hiring frenzy which preceded a collapse in the telecom industy. So, six months after starting, I was released along with a large chunk of the company in the first lay offs in the history of the company. It was sad and I always felt like I could have done my 20-30 years there happily.

Well, they're back on a growth trend and it looks like it's steady. They had a position open earlier in the year that was a bit over my level of expertise and I didn't get it. More recently, the same job I left came up as available again and I interviewed with the same manager I interviewed with six years ago. She extended the offer verbally earlier in the week and I accepted.

In a nutshell, I'll be doing work I love with no quota and management that wants me to succeed and grow as a person. I'll be moving to a corporate culture that understands how a content employee is a productive employee. It'll be such a relief. I told the H.R. person that it seems like I've been having a really long nightmare and it'll be great to finally wake up. I hope I'm not building this up too much in my head but I loved the job last time and I'm sure I will again.

The difficult part will be leaving the current job without commentary. It would feel good to tell some folks off and burn some bridges, but that's not my style. I actually feel a little bad for them since the present is rough and the future doesn't look any better. I also appreciate the employment I've had there. For all my complaining about the commute, etc. they still paid me on time every two weeks.

Good times. Really - I'm not being sarcastic.

6 comments:

edP 7:42 AM  

Congrats man. You deserve it - and you are the person who will work your ass off for an organization if they are organized and they know how to treat people.

To quote the great M Ali: "Rumble young man rumble! AHHHHHHH!"

Lady Di )O( 2:05 AM  

If the present is rough then they shouldn't be surprised in the least that you have moved on to bigger and better, so to speak. Any employer that gives 2 shits about you would want you to get out while you can.

Bravo on getting back into the company that treated you so well. It soundes like you really liked it and are happy to be returning. That, is good times. That, is BLING.

But don't tell anyone off or burn any bridges. You never know when layoff will happen again and you might need those folks. I know I'm telling you something you already know. Blah.................

edP 7:15 PM  

I hope today went well ChrisB

Chris B. 9:20 PM  

Everyone was nice, actually. Most everyone congratulated me. I offered to stay and help with transition but I already regret that. I'll try to get off task more and blog next week. (I have a hard time being a slack-ass motherfucker when I'm getting paid - no matter how bad the situation.)

Kim 1:30 AM  

ChrisB: YAY! Jeez, you sure deserve it after the job stress you've been through! I'd love a Tech Writer's job -- congrats to the Hipster King!

edP 10:46 AM  

Transition team eh. Well, I'm sure you'll do better than the g bushy transition team.

That's not a compliment.

You did the right thing and I'm proud of ya...

Now, regarding the Gospels being a suggestion...

aw, I'll save that for when we are drunk.

*wink

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP