Baseball Centrism
I don't feel bad or make apologies for being a fair-weather baseball fan. I was born in Wisconsin and raised by sports-agnostic parents who appreciated the "American-ness" of sports without being posessed by them. My mom's dad was a shortstop and would have been described as a grinder in his day. No flashy stats, but an unabashed love for the rules and guidelines of the game. He was the closest thing to a sports fanatic in our family but, despite being a bartender, he doesn't talk much.
So, as a child, when the baseball fans I know were being indoctrinated into this brotherhood of fandom and absolute loyalty, I was fixing bicycles or riding a mini-bike or something. I was encouraged to follow my own path and it didn't lead to baseball, I guess.
Fast-forward to this past weekend. All the rivalry talk bores me. It always seemed like a waste of energy hearing the Packers v. Bears arguments and the North v. South is even worse to me. The entire time I've been a flatlander (the majority of my life), I've lived in the suburbs. I've never had a preference for the Cubs over the Sox or vice versa. I was as let down by the Cubs a few years ago as I was excited for the Sox last year. I watched the last part of both of those seasons and all of the playoff games and I rooted for the home team.
This year, the cross-town classic was an interesting study in dynamics and the press. First, you have the home-town crowd which used to be considered uncivilized. They appeared to be quite the opposite. Is that higher ticket prices? Is it that there's nothing left to prove (everything they've been chanting for the past 88 years was actually validated)?
Next, I've heard sports-talk guys on the radio talking about how the Cubs are this great team but they're underperforming. Sounds like the White Sox a few years ago (or the Bears or the Bulls in any of the past few years) and it made me wonder - what made the Sox pull out of mediocrity? What finally pushed them into a team that coalesced?
Then there was the fight where the guy you'd expect to start some stuff actually looked clean and the guy that seemed beyond reproach (but in the doldrums - which I understand) did his best to protect himself and made a mistake. I can't even imagine being on the Cubs with the entire city watching (not just your half) and being faced with the fact that you were close but didn't get to where the team you're playing did just last Fall. All the flap about sellout crowds at Wrigley makes little difference - maybe even makes things worse.
I think some of the lessons from last year finally hit the Cubs by Sunday's game. I heard the terms "butchy boy" and "duck snort" in the same inning and figured the Sox were up, but it turned out to be an inning where the Cubs turned the tide. How did they do it? By playing small ball. I'm not sure that I've got the definition of small ball exactly right, but I'd guess it includes an occasional bunt, duck snort, and just getting your glove under a grounder. Stuff my grandpa would fully understand. Stuff that wins ball games.
Maybe, if the Cubs played the Sox for the World Series, I could see where one might want to pick a side, but I side with Ray Raynor and his dichotomy of a hat. Hell, I side with the Kane County Cougars - that's small ball (and great beer!) I even enjoy a Brewers game on occasion if Bob Uecker is calling it. So, I'm not a stat machine and I'm not overly emotionally invested, but I do love the game.
Go Bears.


3 comments:
The Bears of last year were (in my opinion) a team with talent, not quite superbowl talent, that underperformed. This year they should be right in there. The Bears and Cubs of a few years before were mediocre teams that got very lucky.
I'm with you as far as the "politics" go. There's never enough parity to make the rivalries interesting, especially Bears/Packers.
The sight of the Cubs still makes me nostalgic, but they're been so bad for so long, so full of shit as far as management goes, yet mysteriously gaining in popularity, I can't just put my blinders on and enjoy it. Plus, I don't have time in my life for baseball.
And the sight of the Sox does nearly nothing for me, though they play great ball and have a coach that's fun.
When Rich Hill complained about AJ's play, Guillen said "Tell that Triple A fuck to throw some fucking strikes of he's gonna get Dusty fired." heh heh.
Chris, I was just glad to see how you ended the post with a mention of loving baseball.
Maybe this is what it should all be about - love rather than hate...
I am one of those dopes that began coming back to baseball with the Mac/ZoSosa chase of 61. I probably shouldn't admit that - but this was a magic number and I put the blinders on...and I really hoped that the St. Louis Cardinal guy (2nd greatest franchise in all of sports) would beat the cubs guy...
That's some pathetic shit - my cub unlove led me to cheer for another juiced up piece of crap with a red uniform on....
Now that I'm back and witnessing the Seatle almost record setting season a few years back - the Yankees (the greatest franchise in all sports - although I am not a yankees fan - just objective abou these things) amazing run with many of their own players...until they depleted their farm system
...to the SOX leading this revolution back to 1917 style of baseball. It's all been wonderful.
I really thought I put the petty shit behind me - until what happened happened Sat (with one of the two guys on the blue team that I just can't stand).
I'm glad to see that someone (you) has a growing interest in baseball and it is growing in the right way.
That doesn't sound right.
Kumbaya, edP.
{just kidding!}
My take on Chicago baseball rivalry is that it is just a way to tease each other and keep up with the game. I don't TRULY hold baseball "politics" to heart unless the two teams are playing each other. I think this past weekend proved that the rivaly runs deep with a lot of others. Wow. The pic on the front page of the Trib was insane. E woke me up the next morning b/c she thought I was trying to outbid her on tix to Sunday's game on ebay. I was not as I was SLEEPING (a rarity). Some people are just hardcore.
I wonder if we'll ever coordinate this "Blog Group to a Baseball Game" event. I'll keep dreaming...
Post a Comment