It's Getting Frustrating
I'm just not sure what I'm projecting in interviews or during the initial application process that's turning off potential employers. I went on a four-hour interview at one company where I had each of the managers engaged in good conversations, made them laugh and really felt like I had nailed it. They were already asking me questions about my writing abilities as if I was already being groomed for a move to the written correspondence pool. The only written correspondence I got was the letter of rejection.
It's starting to feel like a canyon of space between me and the working world and I'm not sure why. My resume looks good (worked over by an employment/outplacement consultant) and I've gotten compliments on my cover letters, yet I still don't have a job.
Tonight was the worst. I filled out an online application/personality appraisal (25 pages - ~1 hour) for a pharmaceutical company only to get to the last page where I was told that my personality didn't rank with more suitable applicants they already have on file. I got rejected with NO HUMAN CONTACT WHATSOEVER! I realize that part of the problem is that when I've found a job I like online, so have 500,000 other people, as well as automated resume-forwarding bots from around the country.
I'm very lucky to have a lot of friends and the fact that two of my old managers are actively working on securing positions for me at their current companies should speak volumes. I think I perform pretty well in interviews but I'm just not sure how to get noticed among the rest of the pack. I hope I haven't over-valued my worth in the marketplace. I know I made more money at my last job than I can expect to make straightaway at my next job. Right now, I'll be happy with almost any job.
I feel like I have a lot to offer a company so it's frustrating to not be getting the chance.


2 comments:
Hang in there buddy. Didn't John Kerry say: "Help is on the way!"
Oh good gravy - we're all screwed!!!
dude, i'm in the same frickin' boat. scouring monster/craigslist all day along with a million other bozos. i've had 2 interviews. nothing.
fun times!
Post a Comment