Morning Commute Topics
Thomas Jones - my guess is they're playing up an "injury" to save him a beating in the pre-season. If so, good move. He has nothing to prove. Meanwhile, Cedric Benson is self-destructing before our eyes (a la Cade McNown). Chicago doesn't like holdouts and especially doesn't like walkouts. A Dennis Rodman can bring all the quirks he wants with a championship win but a rookie still has to earn his stripes.
Elvira Arellano (holed up at a church in Chicago to avoid deportation) - America is indeed a melting pot and the land of opportunity. However, to take advantage of all that America has to offer, you need to assimilate. I heard this woman in an interview saying that she's only here so her son (born here - US citizen by rights) can get better health care and schooling. She also used someone else's social security number at one point and she's currently evading a warrant for her deportation. Asylum is one thing but trying not to get caught is something totally different.


4 comments:
Why the bears drafted a running back at 4...Jerry A is the king of lower round picks - I know everyone has killed him for this - but he should've traded down
I'm also sick of the anti-Grossman commentary. Everyone wants to see Griese start based on a couple of pre-season games. How ignorant is that? Has he been that bad in practice? Has he had a chance to adjust to a game in the pre-season? Did he not say before the playoff game last year that he needed to put 21-24 points on the board and that should put them in a position to win? Didn't he do just that? I understand people questioning his ability to stay healthy but now we know that Greise can step in if necessary. If necessary. We're in good shape at QB for once.
I avoid the pre-season for that reason. It's the f'n PRE-season. It doesn't matter and it's rarely meaningful. New guys going spastic to prove themselves, old guys trying not to get hurt before the season starts.
I can understand the dorks who call into sports radio to gripe about Grossman--they're dorks, after all. But I can't understand the media "experts" jumping on that bandwagon. Get a grip. Rex looked pretty good to me last year, and all the same people were hailing his return.
My big worry is that while the offense gets a little bit better the defense gets a little bit worse.
I think Mike Brown was hinting at retirement, even. Maybe that was a ruse to see how far the speculation would travel through the media.
Remember last year when Washington (and the Browns and Bengals) walked all over the defense? That locked them down for the remainder of the year. It's crazy how much of a "mind over matter" game it is.
Post a Comment