Sunday, March 02, 2008

The Bears and Free Agency

Ok, so I wrote a couple of posts about the moves the Bears should make in the off season to fix key spots on both offense and defense. I think they read my post. So far, I called for at least two of the offensive linesmen to be removed - check. The top two wide receivers couldn't receive - check. I wouldn't have cared about Briggs leaving until Urlacher had his mystery surgery, so three years later he gets a nice, long contract with $3 million more than the first offer two years ago - check. Grossman and Orton will be fine and this could be a good time to find a 4th round QB nobody knows - check. Also, there are apparently a number of outstanding offensive guards and tackles in the draft this year AND Mendenhall on the market - check and double check.

Looks like Berrian found a home and I couldn't be happier. He got some sick money, too - something like $45 million. That's remarkable considering how many times he dropped the ball. Still haven't heard news on Ayanbadejo or Rashied Davis, but I hope they both stay.

One more thing - there's a decent chance that Marty Booker could come back to the Bears. If there's anybody I'd like to see suit up in the orange and blue again, it's him. He was my favorite Bear before Charles Tillman stepped up a couple of years ago. Same kind of work ethic, I think.

John W., I might need that jersey back if he does sign. I'll let you know. :)

3 comments:

edP,  2:16 PM  

I'd love to see Booker have one good season in him and have that season with the Bears. Don't know what he did in Miami other than lose...but the way that team was constituted, it couldn't have been Booker's fault

Anyone named Cam should stay in college, or in hockey.

Chris B.,  2:30 PM  

He had multiple 1000-yard seasons with the Bears. He had a QB named "Lemon" at Miami. It would be sweet.

...Or in a shaft.

Chris B.,  6:58 PM  

Oh, and Michael Turner signed with Atlanta already, so the NIU two-fer is out of the question. There are a couple of quality running backs still unsigned in free agency, and it seems like there's always one or two in the draft worth taking. Maybe we'd have better luck with a later rounder.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP