Thursday, December 13, 2007

Sports for All

As my lovely wife is apt to remind me, I have been blogging about the Bears a lot over the past few years. Mostly, it's heated up because there was something to talk about. They were actually good for a couple of years back to back.

A contributing factor to my more frequent posts about the Bears is that I started listening to sports radio in the car. In the short time I've been doing it, I've learned to hate most of it - lots of sensationalistic bullshit and conjecture generated out of boredom, I think.

However, in the last few months, I've been loving the mid-morning Waddle and Silvy show on ESPN 1000. Tom Waddle used to play for the Bears and Silvy used to be a sports writer. They are funny, witty, and won't beat a topic to death just to kill time. They also tend to approach sports in a way I (average fan) understand. They get good guests, use funny sound effects, and occasionally make fart jokes. Best of all, because of the size of the market, you can stream it through through the ESPN web site.

So, Tom, if you're near a computer when you wake up in the morning, here's how to get your local Bears info. They have podcast versions of the shows, too.

One more thing - I just added a book to my Amazon wish list. It's an encyclopedic compendium of sports, their rules, and interesting information about them all. This will be extra handy for the next Olympics, and maybe I'll learn a thing or two about football as well.

1 comments:

Moderator,  1:43 PM  

I think the waddle/silvy show also comes on podcast. Actually I'm about certain it does.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP