Friday, October 09, 2009

The Nobel Was a Make-Good

I was never invested in the idea of Chicago hosting the Olympics. Couldn't care less, honestly. However, when I heard that Obama was going to appear and speak to the IOC, I thought we'd be a lock. On decision day, the sports radio show I listen to every day was broadcasting live from Daley Plaza, where they were going to announce the winner (presumably Chicago at this point). Admittedly, I was interested at that point.

The first envelope comes out, the guy announces that Chicago is the first to go, and the radio show goes silent for a minute. It was actually shocking. First out? Wow. That must be the first time Obamprah's overtures have gone unrequited.

It was a perilous situation for Obama, politically. There's lots happening here at home, and winning this bid could add a booster shot of positivity. Losing the bid could give his opposition some ammunition. Not showing up would give them even more to feed on. (What kind of president doesn't fight for his country in an international competition?)

So, he did his best (it was pretty good), but I believe that Rio had a lock from the start. It was the first solid plan they'd put forward and South America has never had an Olympics in the past. There have been other rumblings about why Chicago might not be ideal, including the fact that it's very difficult and expensive to get through customs here.

Anyhow, I don't blame Obama. He was only a player for the last bit of this, and he swung for the fences. Too bad, Chicago.

So, I'm not sure what material good Obama has done in the Middle East so far, but if I'm hearing nothing (or very little) about the region, that beats the last eight years. Plus, I'm pretty sure he's working on engaging in discussion to figure out a plan for extended peace, which benefits everyone (including but not exclusively America).

The title of this post is just a joke; I don't really believe the Nobel Peace Prize is a fluke or a make-good for the Olympics, but it sure comes at a good time, politically. I believe the fact that Obama was elected is actually indicative of a shift toward a more positive era for us. It's unfortunate how many people would rather languish in negativity instead.

0 comments:

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP