Lots of Tech for One Week
Last week, I set up a web cam on stage and broadcast a gig from Otto's in Dekalb, IL over the Internet. I have lots of tech-savvy friends, and so I got comments on the show from D.C. to L.A. and many points in-between. Pretty friggin' sweet. I have some theories on how to iron out the somewhat choppy video feed and some other stuff, but overall, a great success.
The next night (Friday), I assembled my new computer using parts thoroughly vetted by my homies at Mefightclub (gaming community derived from Metafilter subscribers). With the Win 7 release candidate, I had a brand new, fully-functioning computer up and running in just a few hours. Not my first build, but the first where I got parts for performance, not just price. It's a rocket ship so far. (Highly recommend Windows 7 when it releases, for the record.)
Next step is to plug the old PC into the television/entertainment system for watching Web video and general surfery.
Also, I had been dubious of new Web-based music solutions. I have never liked iTunes (also don't have an iPod), was disappointed in Songbird, burned by Yahoo! Music, etc. Pandora is great for discovering new stuff, but I have no control over it. Along comes Lala.com, which I had heard of but didn't bother trying, and now I'm in love.
Aside from a really nice, intuitive interface, the software scans your current MP3 collection and considers those song amongst your "paid" purchases. So, in my case, I bought a few new songs, then let it scan 1100 new songs into my account. If they don't already have the MP3, they'll upload yours. No kidding!
In general, the idea is that you can listen to any song once for free. If you want to listen to it online forever, it's $.10. If you want an MP3 that you can download with no strings attached, it's $.89. This is the future of music distribution, friends.
To top it off, you can share songs with friends, embed songs, albums, or playlists in your blog or Web site, update MP3 tags, etc. It's exactly what I've been missing since MusicMatch was acquired by the ill-fated Yahoo! Music. Enjoy!


2 comments:
Are we connected on Lala? I know I invited you, but I'm not sure if that makes for an automagic connection. I've upload an absurd amount of music up there.
RE: TV websurfery - I have a Belkin wireless keyboard you might like. It has mouse controls built into it. I bought it for something it didn't work out to be suitable for and the only thing I can see using it for is TV. Let me know and I'll drop it in the mail to you.
Gundy - thanks for the offer but I've already got the wireless i/o covered.
You did send out hooks a while back but I ignored them having just found Mediamonkey or Songbird or something. I am repentant and we should be connected by now in (shangri)lala.
Post a Comment