Big Drag
Big Drag played at my co-worker Marty's son's graduation party on Saturday. It was a lot of fun but a hell of a lot of work. We had learned some covers and led the set with "Peace Train" from Cat Stevens. It seems odd even to mention that since I'm not a huge fan, but it sounds pretty good with distorted guitars and drums. Anyhow, the sky looked ominous and we only had about 60% of the equipment under the small tarp so as we got to the last few notes of "Peace Train" we started getting soaked. It was as if God (or Yusef Islam via God) let us know that we shouldn't have started the set that way.
Nothing got ruined, but all the power strips got wet and some of the equipment did, too. Water is the worst enemy of electronic equipment. So, we did the only rock 'n roll thing you can do - we plugged it all back in and started playing again. Nobody died! In fact, I think the net result was that my drums are a little cleaner now.
I still had all the equipment in my car on Monday (too hot to move the big stuff on my own) and got approached by another lady that works in the building to play her block party later in the summer. We're already playing at a wedding a week from Saturday. Apparently, we're in the middle of an outdoor venue tour of the North and Western Suburbs. Next stop, recording studio. Then, we'll start working on new songs, some good covers and booking shows. My opinion is that we should just start with a new name while we're at it.


3 comments:
I, for one, would like for us to now skip the entire success, fame and fortune phase of our career and head straight into the washed-up summer festival phase. This is all good training. I won't be happy until we're bitter, in it only because we can't do anything else and are drinking cheap whiskey with carnies.
As far as I know, Smoosher is still available.
Smoosher is the name of our other band. We have a number of songs, in fact.
OD, we can skip the carnie part, find God and get a VH1 special.
Post a Comment