Player Development
Look at the list of guys that have come through under Lovie Smith and only had one or two good seasons. Isn't player development on him?
Devin Hester: One of the most prolific returners in the history of the league. Now, an average receiver (who would be bad with anyone but Cutler, in my opinion). Is that on Lovie or Angelo?
Thomas Jones: There had to have been a better way to handle that situation. Take the track record and make Cedric the backup from the start. It would have been fair to Jones and might have forced Benson to show up to take the job. Isn't that standard in the NFL?
Cedric Benson: I still think he's a loon, but it shouldn't have taken being cut for him to figure out how to be an effective running back in the NFL.
Nathan Vasher: If he's not injured, I do not understand how a guy goes from being one of the best shut-down backs in the league, then one of the worst in a year.
Tommie Harris: Same thing. My hope is that he is still hurt, because otherwise I'd consider it one of the bigger flame-outs in Bears history.
Rex Grossman: Say what you will, but Grossman had as much upside as Cutler early on. It took a lot of pounding and distrust for him to become the shell-shocked fumble monkey he was. I actually put that on Angelo, because when the old offensive line (never a stellar group to begin with) suddenly got older, there was no backup plan.
Tight Ends: We have arguably the best tight end core in the NFL. Why is Olsen out there blocking?
Chris Harris: Why did we get rid of that guy? I really don't understand that move.
I'm sure I've overlooked a bunch. My point is that we've had some reasonably high-end talent in Chicago, but only once in the past 20 years did that get us anywhere. It's time to collect more talent to complement the high-end players we have now, and add high-end coaches as well. Not a budget choice, but a serious and proven contender.
I'm not addressing the salary cap here at all, and likely that plays into the overall picture. Still, though - I think the problem goes beyond money. I remember when people used to complain at how stingy the Bears were. Players complained and held out. Eventually, everyone got paid and the team did not get better. In fact, it's gotten much worse since the Super Bowl.
What's the answer? Hell, I don't know. You build around Briggs and Cutler, I guess. Start with a proven head coach and coordinators that understand these players and can design a defense and offense around them to maximize what they can do. Build the best possible offensive and defensive lines. Add two top-quality receivers, one franchise safety, and a good corner. That would set us up for a run.
Honestly, I'd take a 10-6 record with an unrequited playoff bid three years in a row over another Super Bowl appearance with a slow flame out for the three years following it. I'm tired of watching sketchy football.


0 comments:
Post a Comment