Meet Bernard "Pretty" Purdie
Here's why Creative Commons licenses and file sharing are important to the arts.
1. Some dude named Kutiman decides to find a bunch of different YouTube videos, clip them for specific sounds, then weld them all together into a whole new song/video. The result is displayed in a well-designed site called ThruYOU.
2. A friend (in this case Chris D. via Metafilter) posts the link to Twitter.
3. I am awed and amazed at the work required to create ThruYOU and dig deeper. Since each song has a rolling list of credits for every clip used, I can watch all of the source videos individually.
4. The first clip in the first video is a drum lesson by Bernard "Pretty" Purdie. He may be my favorite drummer ever. "My hi-hat. My 'pssst pssst'. Yeeaaah." Hero stuff, man. See for yourself:


3 comments:
I shamelessly stole it from a mefi FPP. Sorry should have attributed my tweet.
All the more my point. I haven't kept up with Metafilter, so I would have missed this. I updated with the FPP, anyhow.
"Pretty" Purdie was the drummer on Hall & Oates "She's Gone" I think. It keeps getting better.
I think I learn something more every time I visit your site.
Post a Comment