Monday, December 01, 2008

Rough Thanksgiving

Well, this has been a tough couple of weeks. The big issue was the passing of my grandfather. We had planned to meet at his building because it was easier for him and it's a mid-point between everyone in the family. He died just a week before the date, so we decided to have Thanksgiving there, anyhow. Needless to say, it was a little weird.

Next, we found out that a friend of the family (my age) had died unexpectedly from heart failure of some sort while in the hospital for a seemingly unrelated issue. The visitation was on black Friday.

And, this morning we got the call that a great aunt has died. My wife will accompany her mom to the funeral today, I believe.

My wife worked her first three full days as a nurse, and that's been a little stressful, too. Also, my laptop power cord burned up nearly two weeks ago, so I've learned unequivocally how much I actually depend on it.

I got the Christmas lights hung, then realized I had started with the wrong end and could not plug them in. I took the whole thing down, put them up correctly, plugged them in, then realized that only two three-foot segments still work. The rest were useless. (They're all going in the garbage.)

Speaking of garbage, the Bears started out looking good last night, then utterly fell apart. The capper was Berrian (former Bear) burning Charles Tillman for a super-long touchdown pass. Not the actual capper - that was probably their Adrian Peterson dragging half the Bear defense for a few yards. Quick suggestion for Ron Turner - when you have four shots at a one-yard touchdown, try this: run Forte, play action, run Forte, run Forte. Or, take the points.

Whew.

6 comments:

pigamus,  3:10 PM  

I don't know what to tell you about the Bears game, but I'll probably be following in your foot steps with the Christmas lights (fortunately, though, mine will be inside and on a tree that's only a few inches taller than I).

As to the rest of your Thanksgiving (and weeks prior) experiences, the holidays are tremendously stressful without the loss of loved ones. I wish you and your family strength and want you to know you're in my thoughts.

(Side note: Congratulations to The Mrs. on the nursing gig!)

Angela,  6:29 PM  

Uff, that does sound like a rough Thanksgiving. I have a "colorful" family and things are always a little crazy and rough around the edges during the holidays. So over the years I've become a complete sucker for the crazy family holiday movies, such as Home for the Holidays (my all-time favorite). You might watch one of them and hopefully have a few laughs and feel better.

Also, (hopefully this cheers you up) my favorite Thanksgiving '08 quote is from my 87 year old Grandma. Trent and I were visiting her at her assisted living facility and she point blank asked us if we were "for or against THE GAYS". Oh, yeah - direct quote.

Chris B.,  6:45 PM  

Yeah, feels like I'm whining a little, and the truth is - I feel okay. Work is still busy and lots of stuff is working out well right now. I'm far from sad or depressed, since I loaded up on Wisconsin beers (Lakefront, New Glarus, and Central Waters Brewing) on the last run.

And Angela, we met your family. Nothing but salt of the earth in my estimation. We're all pretty lucky, really.

lori,  7:30 PM  

Sorry to hear about all the loss and tumult. Hope you and J and N are doing okay.

Moderator,  12:49 PM  

You've had it rough the last few weeks. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the Bears will pick it up a little.

olddogdk,  9:39 AM  

Big hug for you, ChrisB.

Why Do I Do This?

I was originally inspired by the Web log posted on the site for Propellerhead Software. They developed a cool 808 emulator which eventually morphed into an entire digital audio workstation package (Reason). Those early posts documented their development process and gave a human insight into their struggles. It was cool. So, I bought some hosted space and figured out FrontPage to put a rudimentary site together. My goal was to connect my family, but then realized this could be a great way for me to keep track of happenings over time. Eventually, the manual, HTML journal gave way to this Blogger setup - much easier to deal with, and not bound to one computer.

Ultimately, this is more about nothing than an episode of Seinfeld, but I appreciate that you've read this far. Really.

Fledgling Followers

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP